Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Brewing With Propane and Burner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 03:10 AM   #21
Ichthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkaye View Post
So, if I'm seeing this right, it's a tall narrow chimney extending below the burner up around the sides of the pot? Hmmmm....

I'm wondering if a half height version would be beneficial without super heating the handles? Might just have to try that. Thanks.
That's a great discription, a chimney made of flashing. Only extending the chimney half way has to be better than nothing. I would guess the handles will still be hot (and you'll still need oven mits) because nearly all the heat from the burner is going up, instead of up and out the sides on bottom.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #22
specialkaye
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
That's a great discription, a chimney made of flashing.
Good deal. We're making a supply run today for some brewing hardware, and I'll look around and see what I can find that would work. I can't see buying an entire roll of flashing to make this one piece but we'll see. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to try to do two AGs next weekend and any time saver is a good thing. And using less gas would just be a bonus. If I find something suitable, I'll post pictures as soon as I get it done. Again, thanks.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #23
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Flashing is cheap. I think I paid $8 for a roll. You will recoup your costs very quickly.

Good luck and let us know if it works for you.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #24
specialkaye
Recipes 

Quote:
Flashing is cheap. I think I paid $8 for a roll.
Well, maybe in your part of the country. Down here, extreme SW Florida, that stuff is imported and you have to pay the import fees. Found a 10 foot roll for $13. Think I'll keep looking. And, maybe scrounge around the side of the road. I could use the aluminum siding the last hurricane stripped from a mobile home.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #25
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

It depends on how much propane is in the tank you start with. The tanks at a local gas station or store... the ones in the cages where you swap your empty for a "full" tank" typically contain 15# propane, . I take my tank to a propane refill place and pay for how much they actually put into the tank. If I feel that I don't have enough to start with I can take a partial tank and have it topped off... so I have never really figured out how much I use for a 5 gallon batch. My estimate is 4 batches....I need to build a heat shield and see if I get better efficiency.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #26
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Well, maybe in your part of the country. Down here, extreme SW Florida, that stuff is imported and you have to pay the import fees. Found a 10 foot roll for $13. Think I'll keep looking. And, maybe scrounge around the side of the road. I could use the aluminum siding the last hurricane stripped from a mobile home.
Trust me, it will be a well spent $13. I'm tight on money as well and can assure you will save a lot of gas if you build a heat shield and do not use more gas than needed to keep a rolling boil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaefebs View Post
It depends on how much propane is in the tank you start with. The tanks at a local gas station or store... the ones in the cages where you swap your empty for a "full" tank" typically contain 15# propane, . I take my tank to a propane refill place and pay for how much they actually put into the tank. If I feel that I don't have enough to start with I can take a partial tank and have it topped off... so I have never really figured out how much I use for a 5 gallon batch. My estimate is 4 batches....I need to build a heat shield and see if I get better efficiency.
FWIW, all my tank fills are NOT exchanges. I get a full 20# each fill and am brewing ~10 batches per tank.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #27
specialkaye
Recipes 

Quote:
Trust me, it will be a well spent $13. I'm tight on money as well and can assure you will save a lot of gas if you build a heat shield and do not use more gas than needed to keep a rolling boil.
I'm sure it will be but it's on hold for this weekend. Just spent a bunch on ingredients, copper tubing, and fittings etc.

But, this raises a question for me. I plan two all grain BIAB sessions this weekend. I wonder what the heat shield will do to the paint strainer bag hanging over the edge of the pot?

I'm thinking, bring strike water to temp, insert bag, only use burner to maintain temp shouldn't expose bag to extreme heat for long, remove bag, crank burner for boil.

Maybe the heat shield will help retain some heat during the mash? Maybe remove heat shield for temperature maintenance burn? Replace at flame off? Anyone?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #28
dmbGator
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only get about 3-4 batches out of mine, but Im also doing 10 gallon batches, but full boil so its really 11.75 gallons so i end with 10 gallons. I think it depends on 3 things, one if you are doing any specialty grains which make the boil longer, the original size of the batch, and three how fast you go from your specialty grain temp to boil. The faster you raise the temp the more gas you use.

Upcoming:
Primary: Pale Ale
Secondary: Gint's Two Kidney Ale, Oktoberfest, Conway's Irish Ale Clone, Shiraz
Bottled: Apfelwein, Green Apple Reisling
Kegged:Phat Tyre

Old 11-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #29
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure it will be but it's on hold for this weekend. Just spent a bunch on ingredients, copper tubing, and fittings etc.

But, this raises a question for me. I plan two all grain BIAB sessions this weekend. I wonder what the heat shield will do to the paint strainer bag hanging over the edge of the pot?

I'm thinking, bring strike water to temp, insert bag, only use burner to maintain temp shouldn't expose bag to extreme heat for long, remove bag, crank burner for boil.

Maybe the heat shield will help retain some heat during the mash? Maybe remove heat shield for temperature maintenance burn? Replace at flame off? Anyone?
Assuming you are using nylon bags for BIAB, I would probably not use the heat shield for fear of melting the bag. Maybe just use the shield to heat strike water and for the boil? I guess you won't know 'till you try. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:52 PM   #30
starsailor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

From the wiki on Dallas it's elevation varies from 450 to 550 feet above sea level...

Primary: Rye-I-Brew Belgian Rye Saison
Secondary: None
On Deck: Wheat ale
RIP: BadBoy Wit, Wild Cider, Got Mild?x2, Wyeast Cider-2x, SO4 Cider, Wheat ale, Carnival Kölsch-2x, Am Pale Ale, Am Brown Ale, Dunkel Larger, Erik The Red, Newporter, Cream Ale, Bitter, Trapist Triple, Bourbon Oaked Porter, Gluteus Minimus(Gluten Free)-2x, English Brown

Wizards Homebrew Club

Quick Reply