Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > boiler heat exchanger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
MTbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default boiler heat exchanger

I was walking through a construction site the other day and low and behold found what I think is a boiler heat exchanger. It looks just like a CFC but with the internal pipe being 1/2 and the external 3/4. then a gray foam wraped around that. I checked it for leaks and it seems to be intact. has anyone ever used one of these? or know anything about them? I'm in need of a new CFC and thought maybe this would work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'd be a little concerned about running my beer through something I found on a construction site. Who knows what it was actually used for?

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Is it copper? I'm sure there's some kind of acidic cleaner you can circulate through it to clean it up. I just don't know what.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
MTbrew
Recipes 

yes it's copper and the inside of the pipe looks perfect. no petina or corrosion. I usually use tabasco to clean the other copper I have (works awsome and is edible) I have to rinse for a while but atleast I know I wont kill anyone with cleaners. I may try recircing some for awhile to see what happens

Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's probably had ethylene glycol running through it if it was used in a heat exchanger, at least that's what our system has in it. Not exactly the stuff you want to be drinking.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

so ethylene glocol is not good but read this

Quote:
If one has ingested ethylene glycol, give the person an alcoholic beverage while the paramedics arrive. Ethanol acts as a competitive inhibitor to the active site of the enzyme that converts ethylene glycol to its toxic metabolites. Once ethanol binds, the ethylene glycol is harmlessly excreted out of the body.
So since you are potentially contaminating beer with this... no problem!

Also I read that it takes about 2 tablespoons to kill someone (I've tasted antifreeze before and had no adverse affects, but I won't drink it).

So I think you are pretty darn safe rinsing it out with tabasco, (or a cleaner) and then with water. Also it would get diluted in 5 gal of beer.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply