Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > The birth of Zeus. (Non typical brewstand build.)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #61
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakwhite View Post
It's looking awesome!
Thanks !

Quote:
Where is the water heaters flue going to discharge?
Probably just straight up as per the drawing. The flue pipe and an elbow come with it in a kit. Both are stainless steel. I might put on a big ole exhaust stack for effect...

Quote:
I'm not sure how you could get low pressure hot through a water heater as that's 1 of the reasons we have them the only way I personally can think of doing it is
The heater MUST be run on pressurized water. I believe there is a pressure sensor inside it and it will shut down on low pressure. The pressure is needed to keep the water from turning to steam inside the heat exchanger. It exits the hot water heater at 140F with the stock thermostat and 180F (IIRC) with the accessory thermostat, but parts of the heat exchanger might be hotter than that.

Quote:
Getting the smallest copper cylinder possible and having a small header tank and an immersion heater in the tank and using your heater for your tap....but it wouldn't be worth it for the price of the heater and it wouldn't be portable unless you had the cylinder set up on another frame with casters connected with flexible /push fit john guest fittings, snap on snap off for storage,

Hope you can come up with a way though!
All I need to do is have 2 water pressure regulators, one on the hot water line/valve going into the manifold and the other on the cold water line/valve going into the manifold.

The only thing i don't know about is the temp rating of the regulators. I doubt that its standard practice to have a water pressure regulator on a hot water line.

The other thing i could do is put a safety relief valve set at 5 PSI on the manifold and just allow it to blow off if the pressure is exceeded.

The only thing I need either of these for is because I want hot and cold water valves going directly into the manifold so that vessels can be filled, things can be flushed, etc. Neither the pump head nor the silicone hoses are designed for high pressure, thus the need for something to protect them. As long as one runs the manifold valves properly, neither of these components would see high pressure, but on brew day, when you have a 1000 things on your mind, I can't rely on myself to remember that. Thus the need for protection in the form of a relief valve or upstream pressure regulators.

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #62
Kujo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only part I see that might be a problem is only four casters. With the added length and the potential weights you are going to put on it I would probably add two more to the center. Just to make sure you don't end up flexing the middle or over stressing it. Stainless should hold up but i wouldn't risk it.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #63
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
The only part I see that might be a problem is only four casters. With the added length and the potential weights you are going to put on it I would probably add two more to the center. Just to make sure you don't end up flexing the middle or over stressing it. Stainless should hold up but i wouldn't risk it.
The weight is distributed along the length of the long members. I put about 150 pounds of force on the center of one of them today when it was supported on each end by a sawhorse. It was fine.

I wouldn't want casters in the center because if the surface its sitting on isn't perfectly flat, it will rock. Nothing worse than stirring a kettle and have the stand rock while doing it.

If there is a flex issue, I'll put a stress rods diagonally on the back from the top of the legs to the center of the lower shelf and another from the top of the back center upright to the front lower shelf. That would strengthen everything while leaving the lower shelf mostly open for easy access.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 AM   #64
Kujo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

True rocking would be a nightmare. Another alternative option would be legs. using long nuts and some bolts welded to the bottom you could adjust them up and leave then there unless you felt a need to lower them. Would also make for a backup leveling or stabilizing system if needed. Just throwing random thoughts at you. I seem to be a magnet for Murphys law where if it can go wrong it will lol!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:59 AM   #65
brewman !
Recipes 

I'll test the strength out by filling all the vessels when I get it built. Stay tuned.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #66
jakwhite
Recipes 

Blow off valves are an option but you'd end up flooding the place or getting burnt wet feet every time you turn your Tap on to the manifold,

You can buy pressure reducing valves for hot water I've had to fit them on showers before but I don't know how low you can go, instead of silicone hoses could you use speed fit? As this wouldn't require reducing and the manifold should hold,

Where are you discharging the carbon monoxide?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #67
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakwhite View Post
Where are you discharging the carbon monoxide?
If my burners are adjusted properly, my stand shouldn't produce any carbon MONoxide.

I'll be running the stand in my garage, so the burners and heater will dump the carbon DIoxide into the garage. I'll mount a carbon monoxide detector on the stand and open a door and window to provide fresh air into the space and keep it safe.

The water heater burns a lot less gas than a burner does.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #68
jakwhite
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman !
If my burners are adjusted properly, my stand shouldn't produce any carbon MONoxide.

I'll be running the stand in my garage, so the burners and heater will dump the carbon DIoxide into the garage. I'll mount a carbon monoxide detector on the stand and open a door and window to provide fresh air into the space and keep it safe.

The water heater burns a lot less gas than a burner does.
The burners don't seem a problem as we have gas hobs, it was more the heater as in the uk we have alot of safety regs on boilers/water heaters, but definitely get an alarm in the uk we have 2 types a patch of paper that changes colour which is useless as it gets older it changes anyway, or we have a digital one which sounds an alarm but aslong as its sites next to a window it shouldn't be a problem just watch out for headaches haha

Old 12-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #69
brewman !
Recipes 

I got the burner mounts cut.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #70
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 339

It's refreshing to see a build where there is actually progress being made, on an almost daily basis. Good for you. If you start slacking I'll start taunting you For reals, can't wait to see it finished.

Quick Reply