From HBT memeber Wayne 1:
"The problem is to get a consistent spark from the electrode to a clean ground. The cast iron burner does tend to get a layer of rust on it. The ground connection needs to be cleaned constantly. The gap from the electrode to the burner needs to be adjusted and fiddled with often. The surface of the burner needs to be clean to let the spark have something to jump to.
All in all a lot of maintenance when it is fairly easy to stick a lighter in the gap between the kettle and burner and click the lighter. You don't need the lighter to flame, just the spark works for me.
Perhaps the battery powered units with a shielded cover to contain gas would work better, but the cost of them is more than I can justify after spending close to $30.00 for a solution that didn't work. Lighters are cheap and work just fine."