Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > BCS Panel Wiring..so little idea what Im doing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
SurferMatt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BCS Panel Wiring..so little idea what Im doing

What I'm currently trying to do is control fermentation temps on six individual tanks. To do that I have immersion chillers in each tank. Chilled glycol will be supplied by a constantly running glycol pump with a leader line. Each tank gets supplied from a solenoid valve opened by the BCS 462 controller. I recently scored six ssr's off ebay but am not sure of how to properly wire this unit or even power it. I'm very new to this stuff and have explored the site quite a bit but I could really use some help. Can somebody please share some information on wiring ssr's/solenoid valves/BCS/power supplies?
Thanks for all the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 AM   #2
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

What is the power requirement for the solenoid valves?

Basically the SSR acts as a switch. The BCS puts out 5 volts or so, so if your solenoid requires more than that you can use the SSR's you bought. Hopefully you got the correct ones to control the power needed. Hard to give you precise wiring until we know what you have exactly. The BCS website forum has some diagrams and info from people who have wired BCS set ups.

The BCS comes with a wall wort transformer, plug it in and it should power up.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
SurferMatt
Recipes 

The solenoid valves were not purchased yet but I intend to buy from this ebay store. http://shop.ebay.com/valves4projects...&_trksid=p3686
The SSRs are this model. http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/759...rt-240d10.html
I picked up six of them for ten bucks on ebay so no big deal if theyre no good but i thought they'd work for this since the valves are such a smaller draw than an elec heating element or march pump or something similar

Old 08-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
Ranger9913
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm doing this from my head so it could easily be wrong but it should get you close.

Step 1: install 6 temp probes and wire them to the BCS. The probes are two wire, one goes to it corresponding number and the other wire goes to ground on the BCS.

Step 2: (assuming solenoids are 110v 2-wire leads) wire the hot leads from the solenoids to #2 on each SSR or the upper right side.

Step 3: run your 110v power to terminal #1 or upper left terminal. You will most likely need a distribution block or something to feed 6 solenoids from a single power source.

Step 4: Wire the other wire ( neutral) of all solenoids together with your MAIN nuetral.

Check by BCS in manual mode, set all 6 outputs to cool mode and to PID. Set the temp to something like 90* or anything above ambient temp. and the valves should open.

My advice, try it with one fermenter and repeat it once you get it.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
ZymurGuy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is how I wired up mine: http://cockalebrewery.blogspot.com/2...its-alive.html. Maybe it will help.

Quick Reply