Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Basketball Post 3-Tier Setup...Comments?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1595 Times on 1512 Posts
Likes Given: 52738

Default Basketball Post 3-Tier Setup...Comments?

So, after looking at the simple setup that WortMonger uses for his 3-tier system (i.e., one center steel tube with the kegs bolted to it), I was looking at building one. This is when I noticed the already installed, 9' tall steel tube in my driveway. Is there any reason I couldn't just drill holes into the existing basketball post for the bolted keg attachments and use it as a brew stand? The only issue I can think of off-hand is that the paint that it is currently coated with may not stand up to the heat.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 WHIPPED DOG straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

my friend bent his basketball pole by hanging on the rim. they are not thick at all. my friend weighs around 175. if you are only doing 5 gallon batches, its nowhere near that weight, and you will not have the leverage he did, but its something i would look into.

it seems like an OK idea, but how close to the pole would the burner be? would it weaken the pole? the theory behind this is good, i would double check some safety issues though.

On Tap:warrior apa
On Tap: crystal light
On Tap:BM's centenial blonde
"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher

Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Chop the pole to the height you need. Drill and and install whatever bolts/hardware you need. Then fill the pole with cement. That should take care of any strength issues.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'd like to continue to use it as a basketball hoop. I figure on brewdays I can hang up the keggles and brew. Then, take them down to clean and store in the garage. But you are right, I don't see why I couldn't take the cap off the main post and pour some concrete down into it to add additional strength.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2275

Dan, you gonna sit out there in the driveway and brew in our winter weather? I take it SWMBO is objecting to a brew-stand "space" in the basement or garage?

Short answer from my shaky physics recollection is you will be fine doing 10-15 gallon batches on a post like that anchored several feet into the earth in concrete. You are adding the loads close to the anchor point, close to the center of gravity of the post, and adding static load, as opposed to some guy hanging on the rim, which is something I am almost certain you've never done! :-P

Old 12-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Dan, you gonna sit out there in the driveway and brew in our winter weather? I take it SWMBO is objecting to a brew-stand "space" in the basement or garage?

Short answer from my shaky physics recollection is you will be fine doing 10-15 gallon batches on a post like that anchored several feet into the earth in concrete. You are adding the loads close to the anchor point, close to the center of gravity of the post, and adding static load, as opposed to some guy hanging on the rim, which is something I am almost certain you've never done! :-P
Hah!

I don't plan to do much brewing over the winter. Seeing as how my basement has low ceilings and is filled with asbestos insulation, I'm not too keen on brewing down there. Plus, my desire to have an all-gravity system automatically rules out the basement. The garage would be no better as it's detached, uninsulated and would only provide a wind blockage for winter brewing. However, my plan would be to brew like crazy in October/November so that the pipeline takes me through to the spring, thus being able to spend the cold Chicago winter comfortably buzzed in my recliner.

I wasn't terribly worried about the forces on the pole due to the kegs hanging from it. I'm just looking for any reasons that I may have overlooked as to why it may be a bad idea (e.g., like the paint).

Otherwise, I'm pretty excited that I have a pre-installed brewstand sitting in my driveway.

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4646 Times on 4548 Posts
Likes Given: 2275

Man, you are hoping your beer lasts you from Mid-Nov through end of March? That is AMBITIOUS! LOL!

Are you tied to 3-tier? You can do a single (or double) tier in your basement (asbestos be damned) or garage with a single pump. That time off over the holidays is quite useful for brewing!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
Man, you are hoping your beer lasts you from Mid-Nov through end of March? That is AMBITIOUS! LOL!

Are you tied to 3-tier? You can do a single (or double) tier in your basement (asbestos be damned) or garage with a single pump. That time off over the holidays is quite useful for brewing!
7 kegs, plus bottles (mead, beer and wine), plus a few beers in secondaries. I should be fine. I drink, but I'm not a drunk.

For now I'm tied to 3-tier. But the good thing about going this way is that my expenses for my stand are pretty much $0.00, so if I decide to add a pump later on, I can look into going double- or single-tier with no problem.

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
Ace_Club
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So, I've been making slow progress in getting this build done. However, the weather is getting warmer and I've committed to having it done and my first AG brew in the new rig on March 25th. So, all the items have been slowly being delivered to my home and the last major piece of work left is to drill the two mounting holes into the basketball post for the HLT and BK. I decided to go with a cooler MLT that will rest on saw horses for the time being.

That being said, the biggest problem I had to face design-wise was how to mount the burners. I didn't want to fabricate something to hang off of the basketball post, so I decided to hang them off of the bottom of the kegs. I was able to find 25' of 1/8" wire rope on Amazon for $0.85 so I went with it.

I cut 2' sections of the wire rope and clamped them together into loops. I added large washers to the burners mounting locations to allow for a place for the wire rope to hook onto.

Here's an image of the proof-of-concept test with the keg hanging from an I-beam in my basement:

Closeup of the burner configuration:

Yesterday I also finished putting together the propane manifold that will provide gas to the burners on the HLT and BK. Seen here:

So, as mentioned earlier, I've still got to get the mounting holes in the basketball post drilled out. The post is 4" x 4" tube steel and I'll be using 1/2" SS machine bolts (7" long) to mount the kegs. I ran some rough numbers and the bolts are capable of holding ~8,000 lbs. in shear, so a full keggle will be no problem.

Anyways, off to make more progress.

Sent from my iPhone 6.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
oceanselv
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ace,

The design looks like it should work. I would add some wind shields around the burner. This should help give a better distribution of the heat over the entire keg.

Quick Reply