Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Banjo Burner heat shield build. (lots of pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
Espi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Banjo Burner heat shield build. (lots of pics)

I am in the process of collecting/building a brew stand.

I farted around in the garage tonight and here is what I ended up with.

These are the Northern Brewer burners.

The diameter of these burners are 11 inches. I stopped by the metal supply store after work and they sheared 22 gauge flat sheet steel for me while I waited to the dimensions I wanted. 35" by 6"

This is actually the second shield I did. I marked everything out, cut the large hole in the center and then drilled my adjustment mounting holes.

Then rolled it over a corny.

Till I ended up with this...

Here it is finished..well kinda. My welder is out on loan to a car buddy at the moment. Once he is done with it, I will butt weld the joints.. As you will see in the pics that follow. These two burners diameters differ in size. The casting on the mounting points have a lot of extra material on them. I will clean that up with the grinder and everything should work out well.

I will follow up when the welds are done and all that.

My plan is to have then jet hot coated separate from the brew stand and bolt them in.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I think if I would do it different, I would have got the metal cut a bit longer. Or at least cleaned up the burners prior to drilling holes.

I will make it work and it will work good when its all said and done. It will just be more work in the end.

Scott

When in darkness... when in doubt... run in circles... scream and shout!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
jafo28
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Looks good to me, and far beyond my skill level.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Espi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, but its really not that hard... I pretty much did it with a drill, hole saw, hand shears, tape measure and speed square..

The adjustment holes are one inch apart and the top setting puts the base of the burner at one inch below the top of the shield.

I ain't never done this before and have some flat bottom pots and and in the process of converting a keg for my brew pot so I am hoping to get any adjustment I may need.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Salmonhouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Pretty sexy for low tech! I'm putting together a 25 gallon system right now and wondering if a shield this diameter would be sufficient for heating my pot with a 20" diameter. Anyone?

Old 03-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
Espi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Low tech for sure.. I talked to a metal guy. He wanted a ton of money to make these. I am sure they would have looked nicer.

I paid 16 bucks for the material and to have them shear it to the size I wanted.

I will butt weld the joints then hammer and dolly some of the major wavey spots and figure out how to coat them.

I was thinking of jet hot coating them but wonder how that will hold up to the flexing that may occur. Same with powder coating.

I will prolly just use heat paint and cure it in the oven and see how that does.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #6
Salmonhouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
I was thinking of jet hot coating them but wonder how that will hold up to the flexing that may occur. Same with powder coating.

I will prolly just use heat paint and cure it in the oven and see how that does.
I wonder what it takes, i used rustoleum on my current stand and that **** burnt off in no time. Also i cut the legs off some bayou burners and welded them to my stand, even the paint they use burns off after the first use.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
lombard
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi View Post
Low tech for sure.. I talked to a metal guy. He wanted a ton of money to make these. I am sure they would have looked nicer.

I paid 16 bucks for the material and to have them shear it to the size I wanted.

I will butt weld the joints then hammer and dolly some of the major wavey spots and figure out how to coat them.

Maybe consider them $16 prototypes. I can't see any kind of coating holding up to the heat. Look in to getting the metal shop to cut out some stainless for you. As a bonus, you get to practice welding stainless.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nice job for "farting around"

Stainless steel unpainted would be my choice of materials, having burned off too much paint on my stand several times.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
bourgeoisbee
Recipes 

This is inspiring me to upgrade from my crappy tin foil heat/wind shield on my banjo burner.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Espi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am starting the stand build this weekend.

I think I will just install them and see how they work. If I need to make any changes I can do it easily then once I find out what seems to work best for me make them in stainless.

Something makes me think my little mission to upgrade is going to turn into a bigger project.

Works for me.

Quick Reply