Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Any issues with my rig design?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
biodarwin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Any issues with my rig design?

Moving from a manual, indoor system to an outdoor system with minimal lifiting. I also wanted to start doing larger batches. This is a 2 tier stand out of wood with a pump. BK to HLT and HLT to MLT will be pumped. MLT to BK and BK to carboy will happen via gravity.

The lids of the coolers will have a bulkhead and Cam-lock A adapter installed. The spigots were replaced with a bulkhead, 3 piece ball valve and Cam-lock F adapter. I wanted to keep the lids closed during transfers to eliminate heat loss as much as possible.

The pump will be a chugger inline pump. For cooling the HLT will be filled with water for a recirculating chilling system. Starting off with hose water, then progressing with ice water. I was thinking about a pond pump if this wont work with the chugger?

Other details:
15g SS Brew Kettle
SP-10 Burner

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Stand is built, plumbing for mash tun including sight glass and temp gauge should be here this week. Pump will be ordered next week. Getting excited!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 170

That should work nicely, great graphics btw. I did something similar except it is 3 tier so I don't have a pump. I have a 10 gallon hlt on a turkey fryer up top. Rubbermaid cooler MLT next down. then my 10 gallon BK on a Bayou Classics SP10 that is high enough to fill the Better Bottle sitting on the floor.

I have a sight glass on the HLT and use a dip stick to measure the wort into the BK. Just finishing an Oatmeal Stout 5 gallon and partygyled peat smoked brown 3 gallons.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
That should work nicely, great graphics btw.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
I did something similar except it is 3 tier so I don't have a pump. I have a 10 gallon hlt on a turkey fryer up top. Rubbermaid cooler MLT next down. then my 10 gallon BK on a Bayou Classics SP10 that is high enough to fill the Better Bottle sitting on the floor.
I started the design as a 3 tier, but do to a recent elbow injury I went with 2 so I wouldn't have to lift things so high up.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Does anyone think adding a 90 degree elbow to the cam lock on the cooler lid will help? I am not sure if the hoses will collapse on itself?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
BadNewsBrewery
Basement Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 55

A 90 would definitely help - hot liquids cause the hoses to collapse some, especially at sharp angles.

My only thought on initial look - make sure your plastic coolers aren't getting too much residual heat from the burner, or you'll have a bad day.

2014:
5gal Scottish Wee Heavy
5gal Saison
15gal American Pale Ale
20gal Belgian Wit
10gal Oktoberfest
10gal Southern Pecan Ale

Keg 1: Apfelwein
Keg 2: Oktoberfest
Keg 3: Southern Pecan

On Deck: Winter Spice Ale

Old 11-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBrewery View Post
A 90 would definitely help - hot liquids cause the hoses to collapse some, especially at sharp angles.

My only thought on initial look - make sure your plastic coolers aren't getting too much residual heat from the burner, or you'll have a bad day.
I have brewed 2 batches on the new rig, prior to adding the pumps. Everything was good, coolers didn't get to hot.

The pump came in yesterday. Plugged it up for a test run. Everythings is working great so far. I am still lacking a hole saw so my sight gauge and thermometer for the HLT and the tops for coolers are not yet drilled.

Quick Reply