Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Another TSS2 controller box build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #71
johnlvs2run
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks much for the helpful information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Yes, most outlets can be split. The ones that can be split have a tab that can be removed (usually broken off with a pair of needle nose pliers) to split the outlets.
This one has tabs on both sides. Do I break off both of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
An "old work" box mounts by clamping on to the drywall rather than being nailed to a stud, so it can be mounted however/wherever you want. As mentioned, you'll just need to check that it's deep enough for the controller. Even with the standard new work boxes you can just run a couple of screws through the box and into the stud to secure it. IMO the two nails aren't enough support for a 4 gang box anyways, so I usually put a piece of blocking in on the other side and secure it with screws.
This is great, will make it easier to find a good box.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #72
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run
This one has tabs on both sides. Do I break off both of them?
In most cases you'd only break the tab on the hot side (gold screws). That way you only need to run one neutral to the outlet to serve both the top and bottom.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #73
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Well, my controller now works great on "cool" and "always on" but is completely dead on "heat".

Guess which one I need badly? That's right, I bottled today and have no place above 70F to store these beers.

I removed and tested all the connections and the outlet itself. No problems. Looks like the controller couldn't take the heat. Any suggestions for an American made version that I can get my hands on quickly? I am not waiting 2 weeks for another one of these crappy controllers to get here from China.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #74
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth
Well, my controller now works great on "cool" and "always on" but is completely dead on "heat".

Guess which one I need badly? That's right, I bottled today and have no place above 70F to store these beers.

I removed and tested all the connections and the outlet itself. No problems. Looks like the controller couldn't take the heat. Any suggestions for an American made version that I can get my hands on quickly? I am not waiting 2 weeks for another one of these crappy controllers to get here from China.
Are you sure it's wired right? How many recepticles do you have, because heat, cool, and always hot would require more than one duplex outlet. For a higher end controller that doesn't ship from China, the title of this thread would be a good choice. There are several other love models that would also work for you.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 04-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #75
TomSD
Da Geek
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Check the wattage of your heating element and the controller you are using. I cooked the heat side of one of mine when a switch shorted out. The rest of it works great but the heat is toast. That one is going to be for my keezer whenever I get around to actually wiring it up.

Fastest replacement though? Not sure. I've always used the Loves but have never heard of any problems with the other brands. You would probably get a Love controller shipped to you faster than an overseas model though.

Johnson Controller rewire
| Keezer (FCM7SUWW) build | Love Controller box build | Soda Syrups/Concentrates

God is an imaginary friend for grownups., Walter Crewes (Morgan Freeman), The Big Bounce

Don't be afraid to ask dumb questions they're easier to handle than dumb mistakes!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #76
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 102

just an FYI - on the Love TSS2, the box says "made in Spain"...

I had similar problems but re-read Claudius' explanation and I had some of the settings wrong. Works like a champ now.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #77
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Are you sure it's wired right? How many recepticles do you have, because heat, cool, and always hot would require more than one duplex outlet. For a higher end controller that doesn't ship from China, the title of this thread would be a good choice. There are several other love models that would also work for you.
It is wired correctly, the heat receptacle worked the first time I used it. I'll check the wattage but will be really disappointed if I have to ditch my ceramic iguana heating bulb.

Brewed in 2014: Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout, Gruit, Gale Ale, Isle of Skye Golden clone, Oktoberfest, Rauchbier, Alpha Male IPA & Chocolate Pepper Stout.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #78
ClaudiusB
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltoftheearth View Post
It is wired correctly, the heat receptacle worked the first time I used it. I'll check the wattage but will be really disappointed if I have to ditch my ceramic iguana heating bulb.
Post your parameters before you replace the controller.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Old 06-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #79
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Subscribed

Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #80
DSmith
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Here's a pic of my Love TSS2 with 10' stainless steel tip probe. The outlets on the 2 relays are fused to protect the controller. The switches are a fancy way of unplugging the chest freezer or 40W aquarium heating pad to prevent cycling them if not wanted without changing an internal parameter or to prevent a mistake from a bad parameter setting.

I have a Johnson A419 and have trended data showing that 3F temperature variations is the tightest control possible with the controller probe insulated-over on the outside of the fermenter.

I've trended data with the TSS2 and it can match the A419 control response and also improve control to about 1.2F temperature variations with the controller probe insulated-over on the outside of the carboy. The TSS2 has a lot better program options and seeing the decimal point temperature read-out on the display is really handy.

I've learned that when my freezer turns off after a cycle, the fermenter temperature drops another 1F no matter how big the differential is set. I've found it best to set the cooling differential to 0.5F to keep tight control (freezer cycles about every 1-2 hours) and increase it to 2F-3F when temperature fluctuations don't matter (freezer gets cycled about every 4-10 hours).

love-tss2-build_pic-4.jpg

Quick Reply