Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Another E-HERMS Build...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #31
joenads
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I don't have any more pics of the chamber/stand. I did use 2x4 to frame and then 3/8 inch (or something close) plywood on the inside. I caulked every joint on the inside. I built everything but the top and then lined with 2 layers of 3/4 inch insulation. I staggered my joints with the insulation and used a little spray foam to fill in any gaps. I used an adhesive spray to get the insulation to stick on the plywood. I put my "ebay temp controller" in and directly wire a fan to the controller to always move air around. I put the top 2 layers of insulation board on and sprayfoamed the top against the playwood, then I put the top of the stand on. I foiled taped all the joints on the inside. I have the door opening staggered and used weather stripping to seal the door. I got in there and closed the door and found no signs of light, so I think its pretty air tight. There is probably about a 3 inch gap between the top of the insulation and the top of the stand. I actually have my controller power cable, the compressor power cable, and the ebay controller power cable routed in there and have everything coming out the top middle of my stand. I don't have the dimensions on me (I'm at work), but I wanted to be able to fit a sanke keg inside (initially wanted to get the sanke fermenter kit). Theres not much more room width wise, but I can get one in there. I think I went with about 5 feet length, to fit 3 kegs on top. Height was also to fit a sanke keg. Its pretty tall once the castors were on and the top of the stand, so I plan to make some kind of running board/stool to be able to peak into my keggles. I don't plan on heating, but it's been pretty cold (38 degrees) the last few days...I haven't fermented in it yet, but I should have a 6 gallon carboy with my pilot batch in it by Saturday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #32
joenads
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had my pilot brew yesterday. Couldn't post about it until now due to my other hobby taking up most of my day...

forumrunner_20111204_181343.jpg

It was like a small victory seeing the wort circulate through the hoses since this was my first all grain effort, and second time overall

forumrunner_20111204_181408.jpg

And seeing the mash

forumrunner_20111204_181423.jpg

Underestimated my boil off rate, so I only got between 4 and 4.5 gallons. Hopefully I'll get that fixed for next weekend brew. I think my efficiency was about 84%. I pitched the yeast at 4 in the afternoon. Started seeing a little activity by 11. This was this morning at 7

forumrunner_20111204_181433.jpg

Old 12-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #33
joenads
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My second all grain batch with my first liquid yeast starter. About 30 hours after pitching the yeast.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #34
joenads
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

forumrunner_20111212_094517.jpg

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #35
leatherfacegoon
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Good write up. I was there for the first several brew days...the end result was fantastic. I will eventually be making a similar set up here in MD.

Quick Reply