Alternative to the March Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
Hello all,

Well it is time I built a single tier system and I am looking at pump options. It would seem that March Pumps aren’t easily available in Canada. I have found one retailer but his price is very steep. I was looking into options and have come across two other pumps that may work.

The first is the little Giant CMD-100-5B
Little Giant Pump Company

It has a bronze head with a synthetic impeller. It is rated for 212 degrees and seems to be reasonably available.

The other I found is the Grund Foss UP Circulator pumps. They are reasonably priced at $130 Canadian and are a three speed design. They are also bronze or stainless steel heads.
Grundfos USA

Anyone have any experience with these pumps? What do y'all think is the bronze head ok? Just treat it like brass to remove any lead? Or is this all a waste of time and I should just order the March pump?

Cheers
Wing Nut

I have a Little Giant pump, but I don't have the model number handy. It's the equivalent of the March pump. Mine has a Ryton (or whatever), plastic pump head. Don't let the temperature ratings stop you from buying any particular pump. The temp ratings relate to the strength of the pump housing under line pressure in a closed system. IOW, the plastic loses strength when it gets really hot, but we home brewers seldom see anything more than a few PSI, so the temp rating is not really relevant. Anything that will handle 150 deg will be OK at anything we can throw at it. IMO, the Little Giant Pumps are of slightly higher quality than the March pumps, but it's very close. My pump is supposed to be able to run dry for up to 8 hours without damage. That's reassuring, although I would certainly never do that unless by accident somehow. It speaks for the integrity of the design I think.

I haven't used the Little Gaint pump your looking at but I have used several other Little Gaint pumps over the years. All I can tell you is they make a surberb product so I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the Little Gaint pump. Quality outfit.

My concern is that it doesn't say that it's for potable fluids. In fact it says that it's designed for applications that don't include drinking. Perhaps you could write the company and see if your application is covered.

I am not sure about the little giant, but it seems to be ok aas far as materials go. The pump house I am dealing with is getting the info and pricing for me by monday.

The price on the Grundfos seems realy good, it is $130 Canadian. It comes with a bronze housing and stainless steel rotor and rotor can. It is rated for potable water systems as it was desinged for recirculating hot water in homes.

Over all it seems realy good and i think I will order it. If anyone has some where to host the file I can send the technical specs. I had to get the sales person to scan it for me as the web site seems to be mis placed.

Cheers

Wing Nut

The grunfos is not mag drive, correct? That's a deal breaker for most brewers as you can't sanitize the seal.

I use a Gorman-Rupp pump. Iwaki Pump also has a good line of mag drive pumps. I don't know about the temp compatibility.

I use a Gorman-Rupp pump. Iwaki Pump also has a good line of mag drive pumps. I don't know about the temp compatibility.

The iwaki are only rated at 176*F. When I talked to them they informed me that they had no reason to test them for a higher temp or for FDA approval seeing their application is for reef pumps. With that said, I have one and love it. But new it will cost more than the march.

The iwaki are only rated at 176*F. When I talked to them they informed me that they had no reason to test them for a higher temp or for FDA approval seeing their application is for reef pumps. With that said, I have one and love it. But new it will cost more than the march.

They do go cheaper than March on eBay, though, since all the brewers are scoping out the March pumps. Same is true of Little Giant. I had a Little Giant pump on my last system than I got for $45. I paid about the same for the pump I have now.

They do go cheaper than March on eBay, though, since all the brewers are scoping out the March pumps. Same is true of Little Giant. I had a Little Giant pump on my last system than I got for $45. I paid about the same for the pump I have now.

I was impulsive and needed it now so I bought a new one. Might have to look for another for a spare though.

Looking over it the Grundfos is a direct drive pump, not mag drive. I do see the point of how a mag drive is easier to sanitize. I was thinking though that if I ran boiling water through the whole system both before and after the brewing it should kill off everything and keep it sanitary.

Wing nut

I am also considering ordering from AHS. The Canadian dollar is good right now but I would rather save on shipping and support the local guy.

Wing nut

I would be more worried about the seal failing and loosing the wort on a direct drive pump! That's one of the reasons why I am making a peristaltic pump.

Looking over it the Grundfos is a direct drive pump, not mag drive. I do see the point of how a mag drive is easier to sanitize. I was thinking though that if I ran boiling water through the whole system both before and after the brewing it should kill off everything and keep it sanitary.

Wing nut

I think the worry with the direct drive pumps is sucking air in through the shaft seal and causing HSA.

The grunfos is not mag drive, correct? That's a deal breaker for most brewers as you can't sanitize the seal.

You don't need a mag drive pump, other sealless designs are available.
I use some TEEL Sealless centrifugal canned motor pumps.

The series I am using, 4RH with 316 SS pump housing.
The original cost was around $180.00 in 1995.

TEEL description.
Unique leakproof integrated motor/pump design eliminates the need for
conventional mechanical seals or other shaft sealing devices.
They are self lubricating and require no external lubrication.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Beer Canuck, it looks good on paper I might be worried about the temperature rating though. The one I am looking at is only $30 more and seeing as the Grundfos is desinged for residental hot water recirculation up too 212 degrees F I would imagine the chances of it leaking are minimal.

Wing nut

Is it any specific Iwaki pumps, or are they all rated liek that? You can get used Iwakis pretty cheap (they're loud, and reefers are moving away from them), and they run FOREVER.

Is it any specific Iwaki pumps, or are they all rated liek that? You can get used Iwakis pretty cheap (they're loud, and reefers are moving away from them), and they run FOREVER.

I believe it is for all. I am not sure what you mean by loud but mine is much quieter than the March 809 I used in the past.

I believe it is for all. I am not sure what you mean by loud but mine is much quieter than the March 809 I used in the past.

I've never used a march pump, so I have no idea how loud they are, but the Iwakis are loud as far as the standards of marine fish tank equipment goes. IE, some of them are too loud to have running 24/7 in your living room.

I've never used a march pump, so I have no idea how loud they are, but the Iwakis are loud as far as the standards of marine fish tank equipment goes. IE, some of them are too loud to have running 24/7 in your living room.

In that situation I would guess they could be considered loud. Nice pump though.

You're using one for beer, right?

I've got a couple sitting around, and it never even crossed my mind.

Yes, I use it to move my strike and sparge water. During the mash rest I use it to recirculate through my heat exchanger and for cooling I use it to whirpool.

Shouldn't fish tank pumps be virtually silent? A loud fish tank pump is probably quiet in every other situation.

I considered some iwaki pumps, as well, but a good price on a used one never came up while I was buying. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for beer. My pump is only rated to 175, or something. I just try not to put boiling wort through it. I put my CFC ahead of the pump so it doesn't see wort right out of the kettle.

Shouldn't fish tank pumps be virtually silent?

A lot of reef guys are running tanks in the multiple hundreds of gallons, so these pumps are usually running in a separate room housing equipment. Very few external pressure rated pumps are anywhere near silent, and they don't need to be. What they need to be is quiet enough that you can't hear them through a wall, and some of the Iwakis, especially the larger ones, arent.

Just to let u know some guy on ebay has Iwaki pumps mdl 30rzt-115nl and mdl30rz-220n
new looks like under 50 bucks I think he has a lot of fifty of each on a dutch auction
im going to grab a couple

I have been looking at the pony pump at princess auto
For $99.99 (Canadian) might be worth looking into

Cheers
Steve

Is the pony pump a mag-drive pump?? I am thinking of building a 2-Tier system and I am putting together a materials list now. There are not too many pump suppliers in the town I live in but I dropped by Princess Auto today and seen this Pony Pump by Proven Pumps. PA also sells a conversion kit for this pump for transfering hot fluids....it sells for $33. What concerns should I have with this pump?? Has anyone ever used one??

I have 3 Grundfos pumps. 2 on my radiant heat system and one that circulates my hot water. It has run continuously for 2 years thus far and not a problem. I am considering getting two to run my yet to be build brewing rig. They must be for potable water since they are made for residential hot water systems.

I have 3 Grundfos pumps. 2 on my radiant heat system and one that circulates my hot water. It has run continuously for 2 years thus far and not a problem. I am considering getting two to run my yet to be build brewing rig. They must be for potable water since they are made for residential hot water systems.

Yeah they are some of the best small pumps money can buy. As long as you get a stainless, or bronze Grundfos pump, it'll be rated for potable use.

I considered some iwaki pumps, as well, but a good price on a used one never came up while I was buying. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for beer. My pump is only rated to 175, or something. I just try not to put boiling wort through it. I put my CFC ahead of the pump so it doesn't see wort right out of the kettle.

Just an update. I moved from a CFC to a IC and I now whirlpool with my pump starting just before flameout. So, I am actually running boiling wort through my pump that's "rated" at 175. No problems yet to report after about 8-10 batches with this method.

Back