Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > About Time To Document This (Strut/Penrose/BCS-460 System)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #31
loetz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nice.

Where did you get that mesh hop filter? Did you make it? It seems to fit the height of your bk perfectly. I would love to have one of those myself...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by loetz View Post
Nice.

Where did you get that mesh hop filter? Did you make it? It seems to fit the height of your bk perfectly. I would love to have one of those myself...
A member on here makes them, chads454. He'll make them to your specs and the prices are very reasonable IMO. I got the 4" diameter version, though I'm a bit concerned with utilization right now. Might upgrade to the 6" diameter in the future.

Actually made progress today, finally got the bottom holes drilled. Crappy pic before I cut out the area for the cat 5 jacks:

The holes were pretty annoying. The 2-1/8" hole was slightly small and required some extra time with a drill to fit the power inlet. The 2" holes were not bad (despite being the ones that had a caveat in the tools list in the eBrewSupply instructions), I touched them up with a sandpaper bit and they were nice and smooth. The 1-1/2" holes were notably smaller than they should have been. I completely destroyed my sandpaper bit removing enough material to get the pump outlets to fit. I'd recommend a 1-5/8" hole saw here, it shouldn't interfere with the two screw holes and it will be way easier overall. Also, despite my best efforts, everything isn't lined up quite as nicely as I had hoped. Meh, just aesthetics.

I need to chop a bit off my DIN rail to mount up the contactors (went with the cheaper ones) and I should be set to mount everything inside. Then on to wiring. At some point I'll get serious about the kettles too, though I need to keep one intact as my interim brew kettle for the time being.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #33
broncosmoker
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

County Line guys? Might have to take a trip across town to check it out. And you build.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 AM   #34
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosmoker View Post
County Line guys? Might have to take a trip across town to check it out. And you build.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ewing?ref=live

Haven't tried their beer but I hear good things. Hoping for the best, the pro brewers in the valley right now are quite hit or miss in my eyes.

A bit more done, mocked everything up with hardware to get a visual of how bad my misalignment was:

Not bad after all, a bit of overhang on the element outlets but nothing that should interfere with the door.

I believe that concludes the enclosure, I wasn't originally planning on painting it but it's gotten pretty beaten up so I may have to after all. I think I've got a couple cans of flat black I may have to put to use.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #35
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This is what taunts me every day:

Shelves full of parts that need to be installed or assembled so I can get this thing brewing.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #36
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

No progress as of late

Needed to catch up on brewing so I knocked out two this weekend to fill up my fermentation chamber and eventually my two empty taps. Hoping to get back to this tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:35 AM   #37
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Progress!

Needed to get the control panel mounted to the stand, I spent about an hour wandering around Home Depot a couple weeks back trying to figure something out. This is what I came up with:

The box has 4 mounts, you could hard mount through the box if you wanted but it came with nice little "feet" and I wanted to make it easy to remove if needed (ideally I'll be able to put this stand on end for storage). Everything connecting to the box unplugs so no need to leave it on there when not in use. I came up with a sideways "H" of sorts. The two holes in the middle mount to the stand, the legs connect with 1/2" bolts, and the box mounting feet are connected with bolts and wing nuts.

Box mounted:

Backside:

Looks like it should work, semi rigid and easy peasy to remove. It definitely confirmed my thought that the stand is too tall though, the top of the control box is damn near eye level for me and I'm 6'2". I think I'll pull the legs and put the casters directly on the bottom rectangle.

With any luck I'll be able to trim the DIN rail I need to tomorrow (went with the cheap contactors, they're not DIN mount) and start mounting everything to the ground plane in the box. From there it's mostly wiring and paint left on the control panel. Need to get working on the kettles at some point too, dreading drilling the stainless... More to come.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #38
ejluttmann
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks good!

Old 08-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #39
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

And a bit more progress, got the DIN and ground plane stuff mounted tonight. My daughter insisted on helping:

And explaining the components to me:

Finished product:

If I can paint the enclosure this weekend I'll mount this back up inside and get to the actual wiring of everything. I exchanged a few emails with eBrewSupply, I believe I understand everything and with any luck won't screw it up .

Old 08-03-2013, 04:16 AM   #40
broncosmoker
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

looking good hyper, and a great helper there.

Side note: See there is nano over on your side of town trying to get going...Haff Brewery? I believe. My side just has a full brewery with Slanted rock..and $2 Tuesday's.Not that 4 miles to your side is a far trip lol.

Quick Reply