Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > About Time To Document This (Strut/Penrose/BCS-460 System)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
waldzinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboarder View Post
I will say this is not a cheap project and the break even period is probably longer than I'll be alive.
Awesome build, and I can relate. I get the SWMBO head shake and eye roll when I begin one of my "little" projects. As an economics guy, you have to factor in the psychological benefits that come from pride, joy, and tasty brew. I believe you've already broken even, good sir! Sub'd.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #22
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldzinator View Post
Awesome build, and I can relate. I get the SWMBO head shake and eye roll when I begin one of my "little" projects. As an economics guy, you have to factor in the psychological benefits that come from pride, joy, and tasty brew. I believe you've already broken even, good sir! Sub'd.
I can agree with that. It's been a bit funny, she's trying hard to slow me down a bit to enjoy the process. While I am enjoying the building part, I'm ready to brew on this damn thing, so it's a hard balance to find .

Old 07-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
ejluttmann
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nice build ... I too live in Meridian. I'm in the process of finishing an electric setup as well (Doing BIAB to start off with). Just finished a tower keezer, as I've decided to go straight to kegging instead of bottling based on recommendations from other home brewers in my neighborhood. Planning my first electric brewing session next weekend, if all goes as planned.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejluttmann View Post
Nice build ... I too live in Meridian. I'm in the process of finishing an electric setup as well (Doing BIAB to start off with). Just finished a tower keezer, as I've decided to go straight to kegging instead of bottling based on recommendations from other home brewers in my neighborhood. Planning my first electric brewing session next weekend, if all goes as planned.
Where are you at? I switched to kegging a couple years back, I will never go back to bottling. Sooooo much easier .

Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
ejluttmann
Recipes 

I'm in the Locsha Falls subdivision across from Rocky Mountain High School. I figure I can bottle from keg or use a growler if I ever need to take one on the go

Old 07-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
waldzinator
Recipes 

One question I had. I was looking at your parts list and comparing to what strutchannelfittings.com has. What are you using the two strut spring nuts for? I wasn't visualizing how they were integrated into your build.

Gotta admit...you got me considering going this route!

Na zdrowie!

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #27
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I'm in the Locsha Falls subdivision across from Rocky Mountain High School. I figure I can bottle from keg or use a growler if I ever need to take one on the go
Ha! Small world, I'm in the same neighborhood, right down on Divide Creek . I take it you're up north by the County Line guys? And yeah, you can bottle/fill growlers from the tap with the right setup, I've done it multiple times.

Quote:
One question I had. I was looking at your parts list and comparing to what strutchannelfittings.com has. What are you using the two strut spring nuts for? I wasn't visualizing how they were integrated into your build.

Gotta admit...you got me considering going this route!
The part number is actually for 100 nuts, so the 2 represents 200. The spring nuts are half the attachment system for the pieces of strut, the other being the bolt and washer. There are a few nut/bolt/washer combos used on every bracket.

On that note, for those that have made strut stands, what do you do with the spring part sticking out, snip it? Or just tuck it somehow?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #28
ejluttmann
Recipes 

Quote:
Ha! Small world, I'm in the same neighborhood, right down on Divide Creek . I take it you're up north by the County Line guys? And yeah, you can bottle/fill growlers from the tap with the right setup, I've done it multiple times.
I live on Puzzle Creek, but I've sampled a few brews from the County Line guys during the neighborhood garage sale

Old 07-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
waldzinator
Recipes 

Quote:
The part number is actually for 100 nuts, so the 2 represents 200.
Haha. Doh! I totally missed that when I was looking at the website. I didn't realize the spring nuts were part of the fastener mechanism, but it makes sense now. I've never worked with these strut frames before, so I'm just a virgin...not too strutty yet...

Na zdrowie!

Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #30
hyperboarder
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
I live on Puzzle Creek, but I've sampled a few brews from the County Line guys during the neighborhood garage sale
Gotcha, you're only a couple blocks up the road. Shoot me a PM if you want to stop by, drink beer, bs, etc. I've got 2 taps on the kegerator flowing right now and piles of ingredients ready to brew a few more, if only I could find the time .

Quote:
Haha. Doh! I totally missed that when I was looking at the website. I didn't realize the spring nuts were part of the fastener mechanism, but it makes sense now. I've never worked with these strut frames before, so I'm just a virgin...not too strutty yet...
Don't worry, I drew this thing out about 4 times and even then I had to improvise when I got everything. As I said the fact that you can really only use 2 sides of the strut for attaching things makes it a bit trickier. The Zymurgy article has a decent explanation of how the spring nuts work, the thread here has pictures but the OP used standard nuts, not spring nuts. The only difference is the lack of the spring, which is just used to hold the nut in position, so it makes it easier to visualize IMO.

Quick Reply