Wheeled base for keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
I'm building a wheeled base for my keezer. It's a 7CF chest freezer and empty it weighs 91 lbs. Add 3 or 4 cornys, tubing and 5lb CO2 tank that put's it at what? ~300 lbs?. Does anybody have any suggestions for wood (2x4?) and wheels? I'm trying to be productive on my days off since my kegging system (SWMBO xmas gift :rockin: ) is on the way. I'm also going to brew! First time since April!

I'd look into an old bedframe that you can drill and bolt together. 1.5" (2x4) + 3" caster equals considerable height addition to your chest freezer. Just a thought....

I made mine out 2x6's with half lap joints, bolted on some solid 3" casters (not from HD or Lowes, $20 a piece at the woodworking store), and then trimmed it with some poplar to create a lip that would keep it from falling off the base.

I made mine out of 1x4 and double layered it to interlock the joints. I screwed my casters onto it at each corner. I made the base about 1" bigger all the way around my chest freezer. I then attached the skirt board to that about 1.5" off the ground. It keeps the freezer on the base and hides my casters and freezer bottom from view.

I used 2x8's, planed and jointed to a nice square edge, butt-joined, glued and screwed with counter-sunk 3.5" long #8 wood screws, covered the holes with finishing plugs, and added gussets to support the casters.
ab_jun_15_2011_06_sm.jpg

I wanted the lift to bring the keezer lid up to a comfortable height...
ab_jun_15_2011_07_sm.jpg

Cheers!

I used 2x4's lapped on the corners with relatively cheap Harbor Freight "roller blade" style swivel wheels. It raised up the keezer a bit (~3")

Day tripper, are those the 2" casters from Lowes rated at 125lb? That's what I purchased mostly because they were like $3.50 each unlike $10 a piece like everything else.

Think twice about drilling or cutting bedframes... They're cast or ?? and I burned through a couple sawsall blades trying it once.....

Day tripper, are those the 2" casters from Lowes rated at 125lb? That's what I purchased mostly because they were like $3.50 each unlike $10 a piece like everything else.

They're actually the Waxman 2-1/2" Rubber Swivel Caster, Lowes Item #146886, rated for 110#, $5.27.

Loaded with 6 full kegs and all the serving hardware & plumbing my keezer comes in just under 400 pounds, so the rating on these doesn't leave a lot of margin, but there hasn't been any drama so far ;)

Cheers!

Back