Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Vintage GE Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #71
kerber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
Why did you only go with two taps?
Unfortunately, there is only enough space in the fridge for 3 kegs if I place the CO2 tank externally. At this point, I'm not big on the idea of having a CO2 tank sitting out, so I opted to go with 2 kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank inside.

At some point in the future, I may try to find an end table or something of matching style that I can hide an external tank inside of.

Builds:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #72
Byrd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you don't mind, can you shed some light on the arduino setup? How did you wire it, which arduino setup you bought off of spark fun, How do you monitor etc. Maybe even some helpful links I could use to set one up for my vintage GE fridge. I'm new to the arduino stuff. Thank you in advance! I'm jealous!

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #73
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerber View Post
Well, we just had an offer accepted on a house, so I best try to bring this project to a checkpoint before the move. I finished wiring and testing the electrical this week. Hopefully I can get the door painted and installed in the next couple weeks.

Here's the power consumption while the compressor is running. ~180 watts! With the new insulation and the speed with which the coils cool, I should see some really good efficiency on this.
Once you set Watts x Hours run (per day) x 365 (days per year) = total watts divided by 1000 = Kw x your cost per Kw will give you your cost per year.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #74
kerber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Once you set Watts x Hours run (per day) x 365 (days per year) = total watts divided by 1000 = Kw x your cost per Kw will give you your cost per year.
I got a good idea of the runtime here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerber View Post
Here's the power consumption breakdown, for those interested in old fridges.
  • 4 watts idling (webserver consumption)
  • 170 watts cooling
  • 2 min running time each cool cycle
  • ~7 min running time per hour
Using that same formula, I had originally calculated it would be
180watts*2.8hr*365day/1000*$0.0683=$12.56/year
Since winter has set in, my runtime is even lower than that! I guess it pays to have the refrigerator in the cooler lower level of the house. Over a 4 hour period today, the total runtime was 6 minutes!

Builds:

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #75
kerber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
If you don't mind, can you shed some light on the arduino setup? How did you wire it, which arduino setup you bought off of spark fun, How do you monitor etc. Maybe even some helpful links I could use to set one up for my vintage GE fridge. I'm new to the arduino stuff. Thank you in advance! I'm jealous!
I'm jealous of the great time you're going to have learning about micro-controllers! Right now, the setup is really straight forward and any specifics to the following bits can easily be found on the Arduino forums.

Temperature is read from a DS18B20 digital temp probe wired to an Arduino Uno. Once a second, it check is compressor needs to come on or not. If it does, it flips the data pin high that's connected to a solid state relay.

Connected to the Arduino over USB is a Guruplug linux computer. The Guruplug runs a python script that talks to the Arduino over serial to log termperature, status, and set the temperature.

The web interface is using highcharts to call a php script that returns the last few days of data. At the end of it, you get this

Builds:

Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #76
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

But Oh No it's not "energy star" rated so it's gonna cost a lot to run.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #77
Byrd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply Kerber!

What are your thoughts on using the same temperature sensor with usb adapter into a Hackberry A10 ( https://www.miniand.com/products/Hac...eloper%20Board) instead of an Arduino Uno. I'd use Python for Android to run the Python scripts (http://www.dbaportal.eu/?q=node/192) or I could just boot into Linux and run Python through there. I'd have to have a power supply and relays but outside of that I should be good on the hardware side right?

I'd just need to figure out how to use Jquery/web.py to retrieve the data and display it on a website. I know this post is off topic so feel free to discard if you're busy lol

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #78
kerber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
What are your thoughts on using the same temperature sensor with usb adapter into a Hackberry A10 ( https://www.miniand.com/products/Hac...eloper%20Board) instead of an Arduino Uno.
Glad to provide some assist

The biggest reason I wanted to use an Arduino is just for the bulletproof reliability of a microcontroller. Reading the temp into linux/Android and controlling it from python should work just fine. The problem would be the first time the thing locks up or gets corrupt NAND and decides your compressor should stay on. While this may never happen - having an Arduino to control the baser functions is a good precaution.

Eventually, I plan on moving the logging and webserver to a general purpose home automation linux box and communicating wirelessly.

Builds:

Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #79
beaksnbeer

Recipes 

Kerber, an analog mind here in a digital world, but what is the advantage of this to justify using 1/3 of the cost to run per year aka $ 4.50 Is it just a cause you can or can it actually serve a purpose.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #80
kerber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
...using 1/3 of the cost to run per year aka $ 4.50...
I'm not sure I'm following. Are you referring to the constant 5 watts draw from the linux computer? The point of going digital with the setup is so that I can log and track my temp, as well as keep it within ~0.5 degrees of my desired temperature.

Builds:

Quick Reply