Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > under $15.00(plus S&H) picnic tap to stout tap modification

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default under $15.00(plus S&H) picnic tap to stout tap modification

Just finished setting this up and testing using blended gas. works great when connected directly to my blended gas system. I am currently working on assembling parts to test a true portable stout setup. Updates to follow when I get all parts together.

Parts required

stout faucet spout - $6.50
stout faucet straightener - .75 cents
stout faucet restrictor plate - $3.30
stout faucet o-ring - .60 Cents
1 - 2" piece 5/8 ID plastic tubing $0.85 for 1 foot
1 - 3/4" piece 5/8 OD plastic tubing (Fits inside larger tubing to reduce id for picnic tap.) $0.68 for 1 foot
2 hose clamps - .99 ea

I got the parts exept tubing and hose clamps from micromatic, got tubing and hose clamps from local hardware store.

This is the finished product.

small print disclaimer: cost assumes you already have a picnic tap setup. May need to play with pressure setting to dial it in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
mikejamesnelson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How does it work?

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've never used blended gas with my stouts. Always just a low carb and then at the end of the pour let the picnic tap close some so I get the foam I want. Looks just like a proper guiness pour. Glad you have a good setup for your blended gas dispensing though

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejamesnelson View Post
How does it work?
connect the picnic tap to the keg just like you would any picnic tap, When you press the lever on the picnic tap the beer is forced through the restrictor plate and straightener inside the stout faucet spout. By adjusting the pouring pressure (27psi worked best for me) of the blended gas, you get a perfect stout pour with the cascade effect.

I am waiting for delivery on an nitrogen paintball tank and some fittings to try a pour using pure Nitrogen on a pre-carbonated stout to see if I get the same effect. If it works, it will be a lot more portable than hauling around my 60cf nitrogen tank (just bungee cord the tank to a keg and go). Also considering trying to blend my own gas mix into a paintball tank.

conpewter - Using just co2 can probably emulate the look of a guinness pour, but I have never seen a pure co2 pour that can emulate the creamy mouthfeel of a blended gas pour, The co2 bubbles are just too large and unstable.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

How did the Nitrogen paintball tank go?
I would love to be able to swap in a nitrogen tank for select beers.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Nice Hack!

I may have to try this on a standard tap head, I'd love one.

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf View Post
conpewter - Using just co2 can probably emulate the look of a guinness pour, but I have never seen a pure co2 pour that can emulate the creamy mouthfeel of a blended gas pour, The co2 bubbles are just too large and unstable.
I thought that the nitrogen did not disolve in the beer and it's use was so you could have the beer stored at a higher PSI (so that the ristrictor plate does it job) without over carbing the beer. My thoughts on this was to try on straight CO2 with as short a run of 1/4" line as possible at normal carb pressure.
I might have a bit of money soon to make one of your DIY stout faucets and try it out

Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Mattd2 you are right. Nitrogen does not dissolve into solution except under extremely high pressures. People confuse the tiny bubbles on these beers as coming from Nitrogen.

Tiny bubbles are produced by shooting high pressure beer through a restrictor. These bubbles are still CO2 bubbles but they are formed differently so they produce a different mouth feel.

Your method of a super short line may work, but I'm not sure. I think you really need around 30 psi to get the right flow through the stout restrictors. And that is the reason I want to know about the nitrogen tank. Because you can carb your beer to 1.5 volumes with CO2 then switch over to nitrogen to blow it threw the tap without any worry of over carbing your beer. (Or even have a single tank of beer gas that can be used on just one of your taps) In addition, you can also crank up you CO2 then lower it after serving and should get the same results.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
Mattd2 you are right. Nitrogen does not dissolve into solution except under extremely high pressures. People confuse the tiny bubbles on these beers as coming from Nitrogen.

Tiny bubbles are produced by shooting high pressure beer through a restrictor. These bubbles are still CO2 bubbles but they are formed differently so they produce a different mouth feel.

Your method of a super short line may work, but I'm not sure. I think you really need around 30 psi to get the right flow through the stout restrictors. And that is the reason I want to know about the nitrogen tank. Because you can carb your beer to 1.5 volumes with CO2 then switch over to nitrogen to blow it threw the tap without any worry of over carbing your beer. (Or even have a single tank of beer gas that can be used on just one of your taps) In addition, you can also crank up you CO2 then lower it after serving and should get the same results.
Sweet to know I'm not thinking about it the bubbles the wrong way
My thoughts on the whole stout tap pressure thing were that most seem to set up the tap the same way as a normal tap, about 10' of 3/16" line, which gives a usual pressure drop of about 12 psi. So if the normal beer gas pressure is 20-30 psi and you loosing 12 psi through the line you are getting about 8-18 psi drop across the restrictor. So if you had the keg on 8 psi (about 1.75 V @ 50 degrees F) and no restrcition in the line (at least negligable restriction) you might get away with it.
I'll try remember to update this in September when I might have the spare cash to try it out.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #10
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

pressure drop on a stout faucet isn't really critical. you need sufficient back pressure to force the beer through the restrictor plate, driving the co2 out of solution.

you can get the same affect with co2 only, but it will only work for a while as the co2 will slowly absorb into the remaining beer. for a nitro faucet to work well, the total dissolved co2 needs to be relatively low, while the pressure needs to be high. Nitrogen is typically used to solve this conundrum as very little actually gets absorbed into the beer.

zazbnf, you're idea of a paintball tank will work, although you'll have the opposite effect of using pure co2, namely that the beer will gradually go flat, causing too little head. That said, this case should be much more manageable.

Also, be careful that it's only nitrogen, as many of the fills are just air.

Quick Reply