Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > True TDD-2 Kegerator remodel/touchup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #1
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default True TDD-2 Kegerator remodel/touchup

I've been in the process looking for a cheap chest freezer to build a keezer. I was browsing Craigslist and found an ad for a commercial True TDD-2 kegerator. From the photos looked to be in good condition and ad said it runs fine. Went out to look at it and everything ran fine, temp was at 35 degrees in the cooler when I checked it out. Some minor rusting around the base, scuffs on the exterior, and it looked like the kegerator hadn't been used in some time so there was some corrosion spots on the inside and overall it was quite filthy. I noticed there were 2 keg taps with attached to old gas/bev lines in the inside, along with a CO2 regulator, empty CO2 tank,3 way diffuser, and 4 tap faucets attached to the towers. Guy who was selling it got it on auction with some other pieces of shop equipment and didn't know what he had and was asking for $700. I asked if he'd take $500 and he gave me the whole deal on the spot for $500. I've got the whole thing at the moment and am working on touching it up (removing some corroded items, deep cleaning, new lines, re-painting). Pretty excited to score this but am dreading having to move this down to my basement (300 lbs). I'll be removing the stand up fridge I have in my brewing room and placing this in there (old fridge will go into the unfinished side of the basement). I haven't seen many posts on these systems, so once I get it up and running and cleaned up, I'll post some photos. Next post is a couple of photos that show it before I started working on it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #2
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

image-2694431237.jpg

image-4016183413.jpg
none
Secondary:
Peach Berliner Weiss w/Brett L, Session White IPA w/orange juice/orange zest/citra dry hop
Kegged:
Citra Wheat, Petit Sour Saison, Rhubarb Gose, Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, IPA (simcoe, amarillo, mosaic, cascade)

Old 06-06-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

image-768597612.jpg

image-1704667208.jpg

image-329863485.jpg

Wish I would have taken photos of the before. Edges around door at the base were totally corroded. Removed the edging and replaced with galvanized steel strips and aluminum flashing and painted with appliance epoxy spray. Inside is now spotless and there were a couple of small corroded holes in the evaporator. I filled those in with rubber epoxy and aluminum flashing patches. Should be able to move this to the basement tomorrow.
image-3862383296.jpg  
none
Secondary:
Peach Berliner Weiss w/Brett L, Session White IPA w/orange juice/orange zest/citra dry hop
Kegged:
Citra Wheat, Petit Sour Saison, Rhubarb Gose, Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, IPA (simcoe, amarillo, mosaic, cascade)

Old 06-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, I ran the serial # on the True website and it noted the unit was built on 10/31/96. After considering the condition it was in when I bought it, I guess I'm surprised it wasn't in worse shape given the age (I figured it was a early 2000's era model). Good things it's commercial grade. Either way, surprised at the age. These can take a beating I guess !

Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I've read commercial kegerators can eat up some energy and have read about electrical bills being impacted by anywhere from $10 p/mo to $100 p/mo (Bev Air brands). Fortunately, I'm reading that True kegerators are fairly efficient . I've found a link that talks about the energy consumption and there are two differing opinions on these. One calculation had it at about $0.15 p/dy and another was nearly $1.00 p/dy. I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure this out, so I'll assume it's somewhere in between. Here's the link: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/new-...46/index2.html

From what I've read, it seems like the commercial kegerators have a more frequent cycle they run on. As a result, they can end up running more often than need be. Has anyone ever heard of hooking one of these up to a Johnson Control thermostat ? Or would that be a waste of $$ ?

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #6
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 108

The TRUE units have a constant cooling cycle that is designed to maintain a frost-free evaporator and is controlled by the thermostat with its probe embedded in the evaporator. The evaporator is cooled to a thermostat set temperature of well below 20deg then the compressor is shutoff. The evaporator is then allowed to warm back up to about 40deg to melt any accumulated frost. Then the cycle begins again. Using an external controller may disrupt this cycle by turning off the evaporator fan, which the designed cooling process depends on.

Big Breasted Blonde
NippleRub Ultra

In the Chamber:
Second Amendment Amber

Next Up:
Rearranger IPA

Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
The TRUE units have a constant cooling cycle that is designed to maintain a frost-free evaporator and is controlled by the thermostat with its probe embedded in the evaporator. The evaporator is cooled to a thermostat set temperature of well below 20deg then the compressor is shutoff. The evaporator is then allowed to warm back up to about 40deg to melt any accumulated frost. Then the cycle begins again. Using an external controller may disrupt this cycle by turning off the evaporator fan, which the designed cooling process depends on.
Thanks for the info. I won't bother with the thermostat control. I guess, while I'm posting, I'll ask about the door seal gaskets. I washed them because they were filthy. I put the door gaskets back on (they are removable) and now the door won't seal up right. I figure the rubber just needs to settle back in place and then they will be fine. I shut the doors tight and taped them shut to put pressure on the gasket seals to bend them back in place. Am I doing anything wrong here ? I read something about taking a hairdryer to the gaskets and warming them up so they are more flexible. Any suggestions ? I'm hoping this isn't going to be a permanent issue.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Used a hairdryer to warm up the gaskets and sort of realized they had been very compressed and aren't as flexible as they used to probably be. I did end up getting most of the gasket to seal except the top portions on each door don't expand out to attach to the frame. Pretty much means the gaskets are old (assume these are the same ones that it came with in 1996). I found replacements online and ordered 2. Should be arriving early next week. Also picked up new CO2 and beer lines. Only thing I'm wondering about is how I'm going to replace the front condenser grill cover. It was missing when I bought it. Replacement piece is $70 and I'm not paying $70 for a 1x2 ft metal grill. I figure I'll browse home depot for home ac/heat vent grills and then trim one down to the right size, paint it black and install it.

Should finally have this thing up and running by end of this next week. I'll take some photos of it when it's fully repainted, polished, lines installed, new gaskets, new grill cover, and running (and pouring beer !!!).

Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Bummer. Still waiting on these damn gaskets to arrive ?? Getting anxious.

none
Secondary:
Kegged:

Old 06-20-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
kchomebrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well, good news. Finally received a tracking # from the company I purchased the gaskets from. Shipped out today and I will receive them in a few days. Talk about a long wait. I paid for the gaskets on 6/8 and they just shipped today. Ridiculous.

none
Secondary:
Kegged:

Quick Reply