Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Those darn cats...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
notrealdan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Those darn cats...

I'm trying to plan out my keezer build. I've read through the "show us your kegerator" thread and have plenty of ideas (maybe too many for my own good). My original plan was to do a basic collar with 2 taps now, and additional 2 later. Then I read through most of the "Show us your Kegerator" thread and have all kinds of ideas about Irish coffins and stuff.

I just have one problem. I have two cats and they're clever little buggers. They get into almost anything they want, no matter what I do. That includes them opening a locked door to get into the garage from the house, even with a heavy box stuck in front of it (I'm installing a deadbolt tomorrow). I know that tap handles will be too interesting for them to leave alone. I need to find a way to keep them away from the taps otherwise I'll come home from work to find several gallons of beer all over the floor and two drunk cats rolling around in it! Also, I have a lot of friends who are allergic to cats and I know they'll cringe at the thought of the cats just getting close enough to rub against or lick the taps their beer came out of.

How have you dealt with keeping pets away from taps on your kegerator? My first thought (and probably the simple solution) was tap locks, but that doesn't keep the cats away completely. Also, they're expensive enough for me to think hard about finding another solution first. I was thinking of making an Irish coffin that I could enclose somehow. Think something like a roll-top desk or a door that flips open up and slides into the coffin (I think called a barrister door). It would limit the size of the tap handles I could use, but I like the simple look of the basic black ones.

What are your thoughts? If I'm going to something more elaborate than a basic collar, I don't mind going the extra mile and making something really cool. I like to plan this sort of thing out, though, and I'd love your input.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't had an issue with the cats bothering the taps but me on the other hand...

I like the roll top door idea. Takes it to a "furniture" level compared to what many treat as a utilitarian project. Pics and posts when you move forward!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
pd230soi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Notrealdan,

a "roll-top" garage for your taps in a coffin would be fantastic if done right. A lot of work, but if you have the space, tools, time, and knowledge.... Wow.

In fact when I get back to the States if you do this I may copy your ideas. I have two boys who need to be prevented from getting near my beer.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i've stared at this for a while now, and decided i wont suggest the cheapest, most effective route to solving this problem

Old 01-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Is what we do in this hobby ever the cheapest, most effective method?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts

I had an issue with our tomcat. He would regularly spray in my office.

My 12yo son lives to build gadgets. For Christmas, he took a motion activated room freshener sprayer, and modified it. Now, it uses refillable little bottles, which I fill with lemon juice. Cats HATE the smell of citrus, especially lemon.

The room freshener is positioned on the floor, right by the door to my office. When the cat tries to enter, he gets a little spray of lemon.

I no longer have cat urine issues in my office.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousbrew View Post
i've stared at this for a while now, and decided i wont suggest the cheapest, most effective route to solving this problem

LOL - being highly allergic I'd almost agree. But I really don't mind them if I could be in the same house with them.

On my keezer if I had cat troubles I'd just invert a box of some kind on top, a milk crate for the cheap way, fancy box for the nicer look.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
52pickup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post

My 12yo son lives to build gadgets. For Christmas, he took a motion activated room freshener sprayer, and modified it. Now, it uses refillable little bottles, which I fill with lemon juice. Cats HATE the smell of citrus, especially lemon.

The room freshener is positioned on the floor, right by the door to my office. When the cat tries to enter, he gets a little spray of lemon.

Make sure that kid goes to school for engineering. Quite the tinkerer for a 12yo

Primary 1: Hurricane IPA
Primary 2: Empty
Kegged: BM's Centennial Blonde(round 2)
Falconers Flight Black IPA
Bottled: SAKE!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
anonymousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i have a neighbor that is like the 'feline octomom'. They roam the neighborhood like free range chickens. They've gotten caught in neighbor's walls and attics. One of the Toms killed the best plants in my garden last spring, one by one (including 4 hops vines) by spraying. So i instituted a 'pavlovian conditioning program'. no more problems. (wish i could institute pavlovian conditioning on the neighbors, but i think the cats are smarter)

throw a few mouse traps up there for a few weeks, they'll get uncurious pretty fast.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
notrealdan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post

That is really clever of him! I have a motion-sensing cat deterrent that works kind of like that, but sprays some inert aerosol propellant and makes a bunch of noise in the process. Refills are also a bit expensive. It's called Ssscat. I could put it near the garage door, but they have to walk by this door to get to their litterbox. So if I make them afraid of the whole area, I'll have worse problems to clean up after... I've heard about the citrus smell thing before and I tried rubbing the door and handle with lemon juice the other day. The cat who's the real troublemaker spent a couple minutes sniffing the door before continuing his work on the handle. I guess whatever is driving him to get into the garage is stronger than his distaste for citrus. The funny thing is they're not at all interested in going outside, just to the garage.

Anyways, this isn't a pet behavior forum, so I'll get back to the main topic. I don't think I want to get sprayed with lemon juice every time I try to pull a pint...

Maybe a simple cabinet-style enclosure with two doors that swing open left. Oh, the inside of the doors could then have chalkboards listing what's in the taps!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS