Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > SWMBO not home? Build a keezer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
joshstokes122
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default SWMBO not home? Build a keezer!

So here's my first real post on the forums. I guess I'm getting more serious than just trying to win some giveaways. Anyways, my wife took the kids to the in-laws for the weekend and I thought that would be the perfect time to build a keezer.

Not quite done yet, but here's my progress so far. I'm using a 7 cf GE chest freezer, Love TSX-10140 temp controller, and only a single faucet setup (for now).

I originally planned on just attaching the collar to the lid, but after I put the whole in for the temp controller, I realized I wouldn't be able to access the terminals. Oops. Now I'm planning on putting hinges on the lid as well.

My biggest issue right now is that I didn't plan this too well. The keezer is 80% complete but I haven't brewed anything to put in it when it's done! So I'll have any empty keg/keezer for a few weeks. Any suggestions for my maiden keg voyage?

forumrunner_20111016_090641.jpg   forumrunner_20111016_090701.jpg   forumrunner_20111016_090728.jpg   forumrunner_20111016_090746.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Lucky_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i say brew what you like... I am a big fan of stouts, or it is the time of the year for holliday beers.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

ahs session brews, grain to glass in two weeks

Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #4
DGibb
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
Do you have a link to the AHS Grain to Glass session brew? I'd love to get beer turned around that fast!

Old 10-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #5
stlbeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Wheat ales are great for quick turn around. Ferment for 10 days, drop it in a keg, put it in the fridge and connect the CO2. Three days later your ready to drink.

Grain to glass in 13 days!!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
joshstokes122
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer
Never heard of a session brew. What's that?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
phidelt1499
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshstokes122 View Post
Never heard of a session brew. What's that?
Typically low abv beers that are easy to drink... so you can have several beers within a given session, yet still drive home...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

From my personal experience with the keezer I built in June and am currently rebuilding, insulate the hell out of that collar, and make sure there are no air leaks.

The lumber I originally used was garbage, so I had an air leak which led to condensation which led to mold which led to me having to clean everything out. Also, the better insulation, the less stress on the compressor from turning on and off all the time.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
joshstokes122
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky214
From my personal experience with the keezer I built in June and am currently rebuilding, insulate the hell out of that collar, and make sure there are no air leaks.

The lumber I originally used was garbage, so I had an air leak which led to condensation which led to mold which led to me having to clean everything out. Also, the better insulation, the less stress on the compressor from turning on and off all the time.
Thanks for the heads up. I have some leftover 1" foam board insulation with aluminum backing that I used on my garage door that I think will work good for that. I also used a 2 in 1, stain-poly, on both the inside and outside of the collar. I was thinking that doing the inside too might help protect against any adverse affects of moisture.

For anyone out there that's used a similar temp controller and mounted it in the collar, did you put some type of enclosure around the backside of the temp controller? Any concerns about moisture there? I'm thinking about building a little enclosure out of the foam board to put around the backside of mine.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyjerky214 View Post
One tip for this is to put a light bulb inside the keezer and close the lid and look for light escaping. This will help detect the leaks.

"Goin' downtown to the disco, gotta do it right away. Got a funky thing to get into, gonna blow my blues away!"

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS