Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Starting my keezer build tonight

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Starting my keezer build tonight

I went out last night and bought a new mitre saw along with most of the materials I'll need for my keezer build. Having read a gazillion kegerator\keezer build threads I think I'm pretty much all set to start building tonight. One thing I am having second thoughts about is storing my CO2 tank inside the 7.2 chest freezer. From my initial layouts the CO2 tank and regulator just seem to clutter up the inside too much. I am thinking that I will build a shelf on the side and then run a single line into my 4 way manifold on the inside. The other upside to this is that it will make it easier to monitor the volume and regulate the CO2 pressure. I'm pretty confident that I want to do this because of the reasons stated above. But it seems like everyone else has their CO2 on the inside so I just wanted to check to make sure that I'm not missing something obvious that will cause me problems down the road.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2815 Times on 2760 Posts
Likes Given: 124

If you're mounting a manifold inside, you still won't be able to regulate pressures from the outside Unless you just mean a 4way splitter and not 4 regulators. I have a 7.2 and my 5lber sits on the hump out of the way. Who cares if it;s a little cluttered inside, How often do you switch out kegs.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I keep my CO2 tank inside because my keezer is in my family room. I tried to make mine look as nice as I could so the SWMBO would be OK with it. Therefore, the tank on the outside just wasn't gonna happen. In my frigidaire 7.2 I have a 10# tank and 5 cornies. It's a tight fit, but workable.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
If you're mounting a manifold inside, you still won't be able to regulate pressures from the outside Unless you just mean a 4way splitter and not 4 regulators. I have a 7.2 and my 5lber sits on the hump out of the way. Who cares if it;s a little cluttered inside, How often do you switch out kegs.
I think it's called a manifold. It splits the line into 4 nipples and there is a on\off lever for each nipple. But I thought that I would still be able to see the pressure on my regultaor (the thing with the dial and pressure gauges). Plus, I could just lift the CO2 tank now and then to see if it's getting empty.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I keep my CO2 tank inside because my keezer is in my family room. I tried to make mine look as nice as I could so the SWMBO would be OK with it. Therefore, the tank on the outside just wasn't gonna happen. In my frigidaire 7.2 I have a 10# tank and 5 cornies. It's a tight fit, but workable.
Wow, I can only fit 3 cornies in mine. I could probably fit a 5# CO2 tank and a 3 gallon corny on the hump. But mine has a lot of room at the top. I could have skipped the collar altother but I really didn't want to use a tower.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
I think it's called a manifold. It splits the line into 4 nipples and there is a on\off lever for each nipple. But I thought that I would still be able to see the pressure on my regultaor (the thing with the dial and pressure gauges). Plus, I could just lift the CO2 tank now and then to see if it's getting empty.
Your understanding is right - if you have a simple manifold with shut offs and not individual regs, you will be able to control the pressure from the tank regulator.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #7
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
Wow, I can only fit 3 cornies in mine. I could probably fit a 5# CO2 tank and a 3 gallon corny on the hump. But mine has a lot of room at the top. I could have skipped the collar altother but I really didn't want to use a tower.
I have three cornies in the bottom with the 10# CO2 tank and 2 cornies on the hump. I have a 10" collar so no problems with clearance on the hump.

Quick Reply