Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Side by Side kegerator / fermentation chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
mikeal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Side by Side kegerator / fermentation chamber

The object was to make a temp controlled fermenter and kegerator as inexpensively as possible, and this is what I ended up with. It will hold four carboys and four pin lock kegs with a little room to spare. Eventually, I'll put a plate and taps over the hole on the freezer side, but for now it is working perfectly (if really ugly).

I got a mid 90's fridge / freezer from Craigslist. It was rusted out under the ice dispenser so that area got cut out and the area filled with expanding foam. To make room for the kegs, I took the inside panel off the freezer door, cut out the edge and reinstalled just the edge with the seal. The shelf is held up with 1/2" allthread that is run through the entire width of the unit. Freezer temperature is controlled by a eBay aquarium temp controller connected where the original thermostat was. The fridge temp is controlled by a 2nd eBay controller connected to a 12v PC fan.

I was lucky in that none of the circuitry in the ice dispenser was necessary for the unit to cool and that a wiring diagram was inside the freezer.

The homer bucket and 5 gal water jug are for demonstration purposes only...

This was the last thing I needed to get back into brewing, and I can't tell you how excited I am!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Joemama474
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey, man, that's pretty cool!

*Edit - No pun intended...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ugly tools dont matter, it's good looking beer that counts!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you for posting a picture of the inside w/ the carboys and kegs. I've seen a couple builds so far, but hadn't seen one that would fit 4 kegs (which is my goal). Depends on the fridge of course, but at least it looks like it's possible.

I picked up a side by side Whirlpool last night. Probably will get started on it today.

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
mikeal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My advice is to plug it an and make sure it runs for a couple of days before you tear into it. I didn't do this and and I was a bit anxious when I first plugged it in. If it didn't work I wouldn't have been sure if it was something that I had done.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeal View Post
My advice is to plug it an and make sure it runs for a couple of days before you tear into it. I didn't do this and and I was a bit anxious when I first plugged it in. If it didn't work I wouldn't have been sure if it was something that I had done.
Good idea.

I made sure it was cool inside before I picked it up though, but I'll plug it in today and let it run while I parts together.

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:

Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Turns out my fridge was set up like yours, so I'm thinking I'll need to add a fan to pull cold air from the freezer to the fridge. On another thread I read that this setup didn't control too well.

How is yours working? Can you control fairly accurately (for the fridge side at least)?

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:

Old 07-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
mikeal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the freezer at 40 degrees and the fridge at 70 and it holds temp fine. I tested the freezer to around 20 degrees and the fridge still held temp. The fan is just screwed into the wall where the foam damper was.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Elky
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

That is a really sick unit you have there. I would love to have something like that where you can ferment and dispense. Hell, you could even lager in a corney.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeal View Post
I have the freezer at 40 degrees and the fridge at 70 and it holds temp fine. I tested the freezer to around 20 degrees and the fridge still held temp. The fan is just screwed into the wall where the foam damper was.
Cool. Thanks man.

I have a 120V PC fan, but sounds like I need to use a little 12V like you have. I got one laying around somewhere.

Do you have any plans to add heat to the ferm chamber side for the cooler months?

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:

Quick Reply