Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Sanding a freezer - am I being stupid?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sanding a freezer - am I being stupid?

Heh, I've just about finished the collar that will tranform a battered old chest freezer into a keezer, and because the collar turned out quite well, I'm wondering if I shouldn't sand down the freezer and repaint it. It's functional, but it's got bits of tape stuck to it and it's scratched up a bit.

If I get one of those nifty electric sanders, how much effort is it to sand down a freezer? It's a biggie - probably 13 or so cu.ft. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448 View Post
Heh, I've just about finished the collar that will tranform a battered old chest freezer into a keezer, and because the collar turned out quite well, I'm wondering if I shouldn't sand down the freezer and repaint it. It's functional, but it's got bits of tape stuck to it and it's scratched up a bit.

If I get one of those nifty electric sanders, how much effort is it to sand down a freezer? It's a biggie - probably 13 or so cu.ft. Any ideas?
Not much effort at all. You don't have to take it down to bare metal. I am sure without too much effort you could make it look like new.

Guy

Old 07-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You're not being stupid. A palm sander would work fine. What's the outer shell made of? I'm assuming you're painting it? If it's a plastic shell (or similar) you won't need to go too deep down. Just level the surface a bit, hit it with a primer for plastic, and than the color of your choice once it's dried. After you have the color you want, hit it with some clearcoat, use some super-super fine sand paper and smooth out any bubbles (wet sand works nice for this with the superfine paper). Once it's smooth as silk, put a buffing pad on the palm sander and buff until you see yourself.

You may want to build it into the keezer before you paint it. Layers of paint can potentially crack or chip if not given time to cure.

Not sure if this helps you, but i hope it does.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Not much effort at all. You don't have to take it down to bare metal. I am sure without too much effort you could make it look like new.
exactly. metal is the easiest to work with.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's old school, so I think it's a painted metal outer surface. I reckon it is worth the effort to sand it and prime+paint+clearcoat it. Now I have to find someone who wants to lend me an electric sander. I have a couple of friends who are insane DIY types they will surely have the required equipment!

Thanks for the quick responses, dudes.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Brew-ta-sauraus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I repainted a side by side fridge once. All that is needed is to roughen the surface and remove any dirt, tape etc. You can purchase appliance paint in spray cans for any home improvement store. The appliance paint is tough and doesnt require a primer or clear coat. Just sand lightly and paint. It will hold the finish for years.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Definitely remove all of the tape and residue first, they tend to clog the sandpaper..

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
samc
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I assume it is a flat surfaced appliance. Mine has that dimpled finish in which case sanding would not work.

Simple method use a citrus based remover to take tape off and buy some Rustoleum Hammered spray paint. It will cover imperfections and save you some grief. Try a can out on something first to see if you like the look. It will save time & money.

RustOleum.com

Old 07-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It has totally flat sides. There's some tape which I'll need to remove, and some tape residue which might be tricky. What is this "citrus based remover" that was mentioned?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
samc
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd2448 View Post
It has totally flat sides. There's some tape which I'll need to remove, and some tape residue which might be tricky. What is this "citrus based remover" that was mentioned?
ORANGE-SOL and De-Solv-it: Safe, Citrus-Based, and General Cleaning Products and Solutions

Quick Reply