Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Refrigerator to Kegerator Conversion ??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
PaloAltoMark
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Refrigerator to Kegerator Conversion ??

I am converting a standard size Frigidaire refrigerator into a kegerator. I want to drill holes in the side of the refrigerator to run gas lines from the regulator to the kegs. I'm concerned about drilling through wiring or some other important component. The manual doesn't provide specific information and the manufacturer was not helpful either.

Does anyone know of a way to determine what might be placed on the side of a refrigerator or have experience with Frigidaire?

Thanks

-Mark

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

If there is a set of coils or a grid of tubing on the back, then there won't be any in the walls.

There's a method of painting the sides with starch dissolved in vodka, then running the fridge, which people use on smaller units. Should work on yours.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
If there is a set of coils or a grid of tubing on the back, then there won't be any in the walls.

There's a method of painting the sides with starch dissolved in vodka, then running the fridge, which people use on smaller units. Should work on yours.
To expand on what david said, mix corn starch and vodka, then paint it onto the fridge walls while it's running, (open the door or turn down the thermostat to make the compressor kick on). The starch/vodka mix will dry first where the coils are inside the walls of the fridge. But like he said, if there are coils on the BACK of the fridge, there are most likely none in the walls.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
PaloAltoMark
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks much gents. There are coils on the back, but I'd rather be safe then sorry, so I'll try the starch method.
-Mark

Quick Reply