Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Quan's Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Quan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Quan's Keezer Build

My turn to build a Keezer! I know, I know... another Keezer... I figure if you are sick of looking at them... then you wouldn't be clicking on this thread.

If you can't tell or don't know of him, I got my inspiration from Jester. I know it looks pretty much like a rip off but if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

His build can be found here

So... let's get started. I bought a Magic Chef 7.2 chest freezer off Craigslist for 75 bucks. They don't sell them anymore at Home Depot, but they have the best footprint for the buck in my opinion.

I modeled it in a CAD program called Inventor by Autodesk.

The doors open to the control panel! This is where I mount my regulators and Love Temperature Controller.

The back panel is "hidden" here so you can see inside to the PVC cooling tower...

This is what I've built so far...

I am really bad at remembering to take pictures so this is the only picture I've taken along the way... sorry.

I will build a set of casters and build wood around the freezer itself to match the top (Even though it is not in the 3D model). I also plan on putting a circulation fan that circulates air in the freezer and also draws air into the insulated PVC tower to cool the beer lines simultaneously. I can't decide what color to stain the wood... I'm thinking a dark red stain to go with the black. Any suggestions?

Thanks to ALL who have posted their ideas, methods, suggestions on this site. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without all your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan View Post

Thanks to ALL who have posted their ideas, methods, suggestions on this site. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without all your help!
Your host requires permissions for attachments. Probably a login. Not showing the pics here. At least not for me.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Quan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Your host requires permissions for attachments. Probably a login. Not showing the pics here. At least not for me.
Oops, you're right. I threw them into Photobucket. Can ya see them now?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Keep the updates and photos coming, I love them. I have a 7.2 chest freezer that is in waiting to become a keezer. So I have been reading all the keezer posts to get some inspiration. I keep going back and forth between a collar and a tower. The tower build would be easier and a more efficient use of space, but the collar is cheaper. As soon as I sell my fishing boat I will have the room in my garage to build it, and the money too.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Quan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
Keep the updates and photos coming, I love them. I have a 7.2 chest freezer that is in waiting to become a keezer. So I have been reading all the keezer posts to get some inspiration. I keep going back and forth between a collar and a tower. The tower build would be easier and a more efficient use of space, but the collar is cheaper. As soon as I sell my fishing boat I will have the room in my garage to build it, and the money too.
GR:

Before I started on this project, I did a tower for a small Danby Refrigerator.

I noticed you mentioned a tower would be more expensive... Well, if you don't have the faucets and stuff on hand... that whole tower setup shown (Came with Perlick Faucets, Shanks, Beer Line, and Disconnects) was $160. Shanks + Faucets themselves will cost you $about $100, Beer line and Disconnects are another $15. So really, the tower is only 45 bucks... buying solid wood ain't the cheapest thing. I know 1x6x6' Oak is 19 bucks a board where I'm from. Another consideration with the tower, though... with a keezer, you have to have space to open the lid without ramming the tower into the wall behind it.

As for selling the fishing boat... why!? I love brewing beer, but I love fishing even more... I would never sell my fishing boat! =P

Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
ashokanbrewing
Recipes 

Quan, is that a Danby mini fridge? What model? I found a DCR412W on craigslist for $75 and I'm wondering if it's worth getting to convert to a kegerator or if I should wait until I can find a better model. Downsides are the freezer on the top and its white...Also not sure if I can fit 2 corny kegs and a 5lb CO2 tank inside.

Good luck with the keezer...keep the photos coming. The CAD designs look sick!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Quan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah, it's a Danby DAR440BL. I had to do the door mod (Take off the shelving and replace it with a polycarbonate sheet) and it still only barely fits 2 ball locks and a 5lb CO2 tank on the back shelf. What I saw for on my search for a mini-fridge is that any one that had a top freezer would not work for a kegerator. This particular model of Danby has the cooling element as a big plate on the back side and no top freezer.

Here's the CO2 on the back hump... 3 regulators bodies fit in there.

Here's it is with 2 kegs in it...

Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice! I really like the use of the under tap space for the regs and controller

Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Guntr
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quan View Post
The doors open to the control panel! This is where I mount my regulators and Love Temperature Controller.
This is a fantastic idea! Do you anticipate any problems with the CO2 lines when opening and closing the freezer lid?

Keep the pics coming!

Planning: Portable Kegerator?
Primary 1: Air :(
Primary 2: Air :(
Keg 1: IPA
Keg 2: Lager
Keg 3: CO2
Keg 4: StarSan
Glass: Half Full :)

Old 03-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #10
Quan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't forsee any problems that I wouldn't have with beer lines anyway. The way I designed it... all beer and CO2 lines will run down through the lid close to the lid's fulcrum to minimize movement during opening and closing of the lid.

Quick Reply