Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Putting real ale on tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Putting real ale on tap

My wife's boss wants me to brew him some real ale. In exchange, he's having a hand pump flown in from England for me. How can I argue with that?

The only thing I've got to work out is where the beer will come from. The plan is no makeup CO2, not even a keg breather. That means 5 gallons at a time is out of the question.

I was looking at 2.5 gallon HDPE containers or Winpaks as a good alternative, but I was curious about natural carbonation. From my understanding, real ales will still pick up natural carbonation while sitting untapped in the cask. Will this be able to occur in a soft-sided container without it asploding?

I was also looking at the 5L mini-kegs, which seem like they'd be ideal, since I don't need a gas-in port. I just haven't found a place that has tapping hardware for them, just a rubber hammer-in bung. Anyone have a source?

Thanks!

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you tell your wife's boss that homebrew IS techinically real ale? I mean...it's nice to have the fancy pump, but I don't see why you couldn't store a corny upside down and let it naturally carb itself. Then let gravity tap it for you.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Displaced MassHole
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
Did you tell your wife's boss that homebrew IS techinically real ale? I mean...it's nice to have the fancy pump, but I don't see why you couldn't store a corny upside down and let it naturally carb itself. Then let gravity tap it for you.
Never thought of that, good idea.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Have you seen this yet? Might help.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/fell...-engine-10529/

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts

Yes, in fact I just told my wife the same thing - that every beer I make is real ale up until I force carbonate it. The question is serving it.

I gave consideration to an upside-down corny, but as I said, I'm looking at smaller quantities of beer so would like a smaller vessel to start with.

Yes, I've met that beer engine Chucke did pretty much exactly what I was thinking about. Mostly what I'm curious about is the natural carbonation bit. I wouldn't want to blow up a Winpack in the fridge. I'm not going to add any priming sugar, so I'm guessing it won't be an issue, but I was just wondering if there was some experience on the matter here already.

-Joe

Old 01-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've carbed in one of my 6 gallon winpaks.... This was with 1/3 my normal priming sugar amount and 4 gallons of beer.

It bulged out but didn't explode... I could still push the sides in without too much effort. They're meant for shipping while sealed so from a design standpoint they would need to handle the pressure change from being filled with below freezing air at sea level and being moved to somewhere that has 100F heat at 12000ft. I didn't work out the pv=nrt on that, but I figured what the hell...

fermentation cabinet
minifridgerator

Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'll be kegging a Stout soon to try with my new beer engine in a 5 gallon corny. eventually I want to find an actual firkin to use, but that will be 40L so it will only come out for special events.

The beer engine will create quite a suction, and if you keep the piston at the bottom of the cycle (Handel pulled forward) it can maintain the column for a long time. So as I see it you don't need to gravity feed the beer in. In theory any fermentation vessel should be able to work, you would just need an aspirator to let gas into the vessel to replace the beer that was pulled out.

For practical daily use I don't think the corny will work too well. I'm going to to be looking in to using mini kegs in the near future, but for now I plan on pulling out of a corny. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
I'm not going to add any priming sugar
You're going to need to add something...

Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
I'll be kegging a Stout soon to try with my new beer engine in a 5 gallon corny. eventually I want to find an actual firkin to use, but that will be 40L so it will only come out for special events.
get a pin instead

Old 01-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

http://www.beertech.net/e107_plugins/wrap/wrap.php?2

I think the 5L are the best solution.

Quick Reply