Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Portable CO2 setup for sanke kegs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
HomeBrewFoSho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Portable CO2 setup for sanke kegs

Just wondering if anyone has every made a setup for 1/2 barrel sanke kegs using the small bb gun like co2 cartridges. I've never used the setups for the corney kegs that they already sell so I don't even know how many cartridges it takes to dispense a smaller keg. (anyone know?) I have a full blown kegerator , but the other day my buddy bought a keg for the super bowl which made me think of this idea. He used the good ol fashion air pump, only drank half the keg and the rest was flat by the next day. So I thought to myself.....hey , there should be a fairly cheap system out there just for situations like this. You know, for the occasional use people. Say they just want a 1/6th or 1/4 barrel for a weekend party type of thing and dont want to spend $600 on a kegerator. Thoughts?? This may just be my $1 million idea haha.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
wyoohio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can buy the sanke to homebrew adapter kits so all the fittings then match. Basically it puts the 1/4 tapered fittings on a sanke tap.

Buy the dispensing unit already available for the soda kegs and that’s all it would take.

I can dispense a 5 gallon keg with about 1.5 to 2 cartridges.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

But those aren't regulated unless your but the $130 one from Williams brewing correct?

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
wyoohio
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Right, no regulator. Just pull the trigger when the beer flow slows.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I use an old single guage regulator and some paintball parts cobbled together to make a paintball CO2 Regulator. I can put enough gas in it with my remote fill setup from my 20lb tank to dispense a keg.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm thinking no gauge, 10psi non adjustable regulator that accepts the screw in 45gram cartridges with a sanke tap for a price point of around $75. I saw the other "portable kits" and buy the time you get a tank and have it filled you're into the kit for around $225. I'm just waiting for the regulator company to get back to me on pricing. Then I'll see how serious I want to get. Besides, I should be able to talk my friends into buying some 1/4kegs for weekend get togethers with a setup like this =). Then they can stop drinking from my kegs all the time haha.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In Canada our local big box Automotive store was selling something called a Jac pac on discount last year. It was a 9 ounce paintball tank with a regulator and a hose/quick disconnect for use with air powered tools. All the homebrewers bought them up, cut the quick disconnects off and added a ball/pin lock valve to the end and now we have portable CO2 systems with regulators.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/N...pac/Jacpac.htm

Primary #1: Hoppy LAN Party DIPA (>100 IBUs)
Primary #2: Irish Red
Primary #3: Belgian Trappist Pumpkin Ale
Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
In Canada our local big box Automotive store was selling something called a Jak pac on discount last year. It was a 9 ounce paintball tank with a regulator and a hose/quick disconnect. All the homebrewers bought them up, cut the quick disconnects off and added a ball/pin lock valve to the end and now we have portable CO2 systems with regulators.

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/N...pac/Jacpac.htm
Yeah, that's pretty cool. But at that price that's way over double what I'm hoping to make them for. Plus you would have to keep getting the tank refilled etc. I guess the crowd I'm looking at is the non-DIYer. Myself not included haha. If I just wanted it for me I would just make one haha. When it's just for me I like to go all out haha.
kegerator.jpg  

Old 02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Varroa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBrewFoSho View Post
Yeah, that's pretty cool. But at that price that's way over double what I'm hoping to make them for. Plus you would have to keep getting the tank refilled etc.
They were discounted to around $20 so it was well worth it. Those little disposable CO2 canisters cost a lot if you buy the food grade ones (compared to bulk CO2) and they can be difficult to obtain sometimes (there are people that say the non-food grade ones may have oil in them to lubricate the mechanics). If you can find a Jac pac for cheap then I would highly recommend one.
Primary #1: Hoppy LAN Party DIPA (>100 IBUs)
Primary #2: Irish Red
Primary #3: Belgian Trappist Pumpkin Ale
Primary #4:
Secondary:
Bottle/Kegged: Belgium Dubbel Blonde, Centennial Honey Blonde, Throwdown Oatmeal Stout, Throwdown Milk Stout, Festabrew Czech Pilsner, Hard Sparking cider On Deck: Varroa's Wee Scottish Heavy, hard sparkling cider

Old 02-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
HomeBrewFoSho
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varroa View Post
They were discounted to around $20 so it was well worth it. Those little disposable CO2 canisters cost a lot if you buy the food grade ones (compared to bulk CO2) and they can be difficult to obtain sometimes (there are people that say the non-food grade ones may have oil in them to lubricate the mechanics). If you can find a Jac pac for cheap then I would highly recommend one.
haha, yeah for $20 it would be well worth it!!

Quick Reply