Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Please give input on my kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #21
Howiedw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpadilo View Post
That looks awesome!! I am at the point where I have bend the copper wire. Any advice on that? Did you just use your hands. I am a little worried about breaking them.
Just take your time and be careful not to kink a line. Those are copper tubes, not wires. Use your hands and try to follow the existing curves. Take your time. Metal taping the copper tubing to an aluminum plate like I did acts like a heatsink. The original configuration of the minifridge had the copper taped to the inside of the steel shell.

It can be done. Once you find the location for the compressor, just carefully bend the lines to fit your needs. It may not look factory perfect, but if you take yor time and think out your layout logically, it will still work.

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager
Bottled : Drunken Emu
Kegged : Garage Hooch, Garage Hooch Pale Mk II
On deck: DCME Stout, Garage Hooch Variations, Alaskan Amber Clone, Drumken Emu
DIY: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/anti...-build-395713/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #22
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Howiedw- thanks for the advice. I just finished getting it bent the way I want it. That is exactly what I did also. I think I bent one specific spot a little much but I think it will work.

Here is the front and backside of it as of now. You can see how I separated the compartment for the compressor. I am going to put the coils on the out side of the metal housing, and put the insulation right on top of the coils.

It is kind of a rough cutting job on the metal, but all I had was shears.

image-3247396904.jpg   image-562568945.jpg  

Old 04-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #23
Howiedw
Recipes 

Angle grinders with cut off wheels work great. And like Norm says, "There is no more important piece of safety equipment than these, safety glasses."

Primary: Garage hooch Pale, Irish Stout, Black Lager / Lagering: Black Magic Lager

Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Howiedw
Recipes 

Quote:
Howiedw- thanks for the advice. I just finished getting it bent the way I want it. That is exactly what I did also. I think I bent one specific spot a little much but I think it will work.

Here is the front and backside of it as of now. You can see how I separated the compartment for the compressor. I am going to put the coils on the out side of the metal housing, and put the insulation right on top of the coils.

It is kind of a rough cutting job on the metal, but all I had was shears.
Make sure that you are attaching/taping the copper to the inside of the outer shell, not the outside of the inner metal wall. Otherwise you will accomplishing nothing. You will need insulation between the copper tubing and the inner shell to prevent heat transfer into the cold area from the copper tubing. Just food for thought.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I first taped all the coils to the inner shell, thinking "these are the coils and coils circulate the gas inside that makes it cold."
After reading your suggestion I realize I might have been wrong. I am guessing half the coils circulate the cold gas and when it reaches the second half it is warmed up, correct? So those warm coils need to be attached to the outer shell. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I am planning on using glue to attach the insulation and don't want to have to spend a good amount of time and effort correcting this mistake.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #26
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1379 Times on 1114 Posts

^ You have it correct, one side is the expansion coil (cold side) and the other is the condensing coil (hot side)...

Cheers!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #27
Howiedw
Recipes 

Quote:
I first taped all the coils to the inner shell, thinking "these are the coils and coils circulate the gas inside that makes it cold."
After reading your suggestion I realize I might have been wrong. I am guessing half the coils circulate the cold gas and when it reaches the second half it is warmed up, correct? So those warm coils need to be attached to the outer shell. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I am planning on using glue to attach the insulation and don't want to have to spend a good amount of time and effort correcting this mistake.
Plug your compressor in and figure out which coils get cold and which coils get warm. Cold goes inside the cold box, and the warm ones get taped to the outer shell. The minifridge that I cannibalized had a plate that formed the freezer portion. That's the side that cools.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for that! That would have been a real pain to have to go back and fix.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #29
Howiedw
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for that! That would have been a real pain to have to go back and fix.
Glad I could help. Better to catch it now, rather than after you have the insulation afixed and the outer shell on.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
humpadilo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I fixed the issue with the coils. I taped the "cold coils" to the back of the unit. I put insulation on the sides and I am going to tape the "hot coils" to the insulation on the sides. I also cut out the insulation that goes over the "cold coils" on the back. My question now is, should I try to cut trenches in the insulation on the side that will go on the "cold coils", so the insulation will sit flush with the inner shell? I am out of town today and tomorrow but I should make good progress next week. Hopefully finish it up then.

Quick Reply