Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > My New Wooden Tap Tower

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
RazorCatchPrey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My New Wooden Tap Tower

I got tired of wrestling with the aluminum single-tap tower that came with my kegerator, and wasn't satisfied with the PVC one I had built, so I decided to build a more elegant wooden tower with three taps.

Well, space for three taps, anyway. I had two extra shanks, but only one faucet, and as of right now I only have one keg. But at least now I have room to grow, right?

I made it out of red oak. It only took a single 1x4x10 piece of lumber, cut into eight 12" pieces, plus two 1x2x1' pieces and the top 1/4x6x1'.

All of the joints are sealed with wood glue, then I added metal brackets for strength. The top hinges open (backwards) for easy access to the inside of the taps. I haven't mounted it on the kegerator or done anything about insulating the lines yet, but I'm pretty proud of my handiwork for somebody who doesn't ever do things like this.

And yes, I am aware of the pitfalls of untreated lumber and splashed/spilled beer. The wood cost a total of about $25, and I figure I can always start over with stained and treated lumber next time as long as this one works well.

new-tap.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I believe a 3 tap faucet tower will run you over $120! Wha what!?! Who comes up with those prices? Good lord, its just a thin metal pipe with three holes drilled into it! And, try getting a wrench in that tiny space!!!

I say you’ve done an awesome job! I’m kinda sick of my 3 tap ABS plastic tower and like your idea of a small coffin tap… plus the price! And a lot easier to get to those shanks and get a good tightening! I say, nice job!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
jaytizzle
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

No need to buy treated lumber (not sure you can get treated red oak anyway). Looks great, just throw a couple of coats of stain then a couple of coats of semigloss poly on there and you're in business with a box that will last forever.

+1 for the ingenuity, too!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
RazorCatchPrey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discooby View Post
I believe a 3 tap faucet tower will run you over $120! Wha what!?! Who comes up with those prices? Good lord, its just a thin metal pipe with three holes drilled into it! And, try getting a wrench in that tiny space!!!

I say you’ve done an awesome job! I’m kinda sick of my 3 tap ABS plastic tower and like your idea of a small coffin tap… plus the price! And a lot easier to get to those shanks and get a good tightening! I say, nice job!
I was just searching for faucets on Google and came across a 3 tap tower that appears to include the shanks and faucets for $146. That's the best price I can recall seeing.

For the price and the satisfaction of doing it myself, I am very happy.

Quick Reply