Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > My Frigidaire Keezer - Birdseye

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #21
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Very nice... How did you mount the L brackets for the drip tray? I have a drip tray for my kegerator but I haven't figured out a good way to mount it yet.
I tried rare earth magnets at first, but the freezer's surface was just too slick and it slid down. I used 3M Heavy Duty Mounting tape on the vertical sections of the L brackets. I bought the tape at Office Max, but you can get it at a number of places. Do a Google search and you'll find it. I used a couple of small pieces of velcro to secure the tray to the top part of the L brackets. I didn't use too much, because it only needs to sit in place and I want to be able to remove it to clean the tray.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #22
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you noticed any problems with the maple veneer coming apart at the miters? I work in a woodshop and love working with wood and just know wood moves alot.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #23
MW66

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Have you noticed any problems with the maple veneer coming apart at the miters? I work in a woodshop and love working with wood and just know wood moves alot.

I did not use miters either for the hemlock box or for the 1/8" maple veneer. It was think enough that it did not funny. That was a side benefit of using the veneer is that I did not have to use any miters at all.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #24
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So how did you attach the veneer to the frame and what did you do in the corners? I guess I can't tell or understand your description.

I didn't understand your latest comment : "It was think enough that it did not funny."

I think I am going to replicate your build and I noticed not every detail is listed from your build which is okay. If I have questions would you be willing to help me out?

I see you have a festool sander? Don't you just love festool, I have pretty much all the tools they sell. They are just amazing. Very expensive but great.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
MW66

Recipes 

I attached the veneer to the hemlock box with Elmers wood glue max. I used a couple of pins with my pin nailer, but only on the sides, not on the face. I then used a tiny amount of wood filler to hide the pin heads. Natural color wood filler matches the maple perfectly. Lots of clamps to completely hold it flat and it was good to go. I first glued the sides flush and then glued the face so the the face's edges would overlap the sides. Then a trim router to make flush. I blended in the corner edges so you could barely tell that it was overlapped, but since it was only 1/8" thick, it was pretty easy to blend. Doing a miter on 1/8" thick material is simply not worth the trouble. My last comment like like I rushed and could have used a spell check. It should have been, "It was THIN enough that it did not look funny." That is, the veneer overlap was thin enough that it did not look funny after trimming flush and blending by hand with some sandpaper.

I have two Festool sanders and the CT 33 dust collector. I bought them a few years ago and had them in storage until I finally got my shop built. Festool product are very high quality indeed. I would love to own more of them, but they are so expensive. As with most of my wood tools, I bought them over many years to spread out the costs.

Good luck. I'll answer any questions you have.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #26
tgriff00
Recipes 

Very nice. I plan on converting a keezer real soon.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the festool OF1400 router thats only been used twice that i'll sell less than what I paid for it.. Let me know. I have a lot of tools for sale, moved into a new house and I have no room for my shop. I actually got a table saw and bandsaw for sale but i bet I won't be able to sell them.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, do you understand electrical very well? I see you barely posted anything about hooking up the controller, fan, etc.. I don't know anything about electric and will be doing this myself. If you didn't know much about electric, can you tell me where you got your information on how to wire up the controller?

As I said before I am going to be following your plans. I made the first step and bought a 4 year old freezer for 60 bucks. It's not in bad shape but it will work. I need to purchase the controller now.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #29
firebird400
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Very very nice build

Old 04-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
OsbornBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try http://www.schwartzbeer.com/Refridge...t-89754205005/ if you don't have confidence inyour electrical abilities. I took a screw out of the lid hinge and used it to mount the thermostat on the back of the keezer, then run the probe the same. Works really nice, with no wiring!

Life's too short to drink diet beer.
Osborn Brewing, LLC
Friend us on Facebook
Monroe, OH

BREWS - Brewing alot, kegging alot, bottling more, updating less, check Facebook if you need to know for sure

Quick Reply