Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Mini-Fridge Kegerator: Sanyo, Frigidaire...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
piperbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Mini-Fridge Kegerator: Sanyo, Frigidaire...?

Background: I'm planning on a pub room build, which gives me no reason not to move to kegging. I plan on a 4 tap system to store underneath the bar/counter, running the lines up through the bar and into a homemade Irish Coffin Box. Originally I was just going to go with a keezer build since it could easily hold all kegs, CO2 tanks, and still have room for an extra keg for lagering/carbonating. After posting the idea and reading some more, the inconvenience of the top loading freezer under a bar seemed to outweigh the perks of having everything in one place. So I'm now leaning towards using two mini fridges, which would allow me access to the kegs without having to pull them out from underneath the bar.

Question: What mini-fridge recommendations do y'all have based on personal experience? From what I can tell the Sanyo 4912M is one of the most popular, and I also noticed some posts on the Frigidaire FRC445GB. Online reviews have been "average", usually with a few awful reviews and a few good reviews. So I'm seeking out advice from anyone that's used there's for a kegerator, to see what problems y'all might have run into. If you could add to your posts how long you've had it, purchased new or used, and whatever else might be helpful in making a decision. If you have another fridge that you think is just as good, by all means throw it out there.

And while I'm always checking CL for used ones, here is what I've found for each new:

Sanyo : $190

Fridgidaire : $180

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I remember reading that Sanyo had discontinued the 4912

It will hold 2 kegs, I understand.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 07-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got a scratch and dent Haier Kegerator for not a whole lot more than those new prices for the mini fridges on Ebay. Just search Haier kegerator. The seller is in North Western WA and I am not affiliated. He basically has a deal with Haier that he gets the units that have taken shipping damage to sell wholesale. The unit I got has one dent the size of maybe a quarter in the side, but is otherwise fine.

The advantage of the Haier kegerator is it fits 3 cornies plus a 5lb co2 bottle.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
piperbrew
Recipes 

The 4912 supposedly has been discontinued, but Fry's still shows as carrying it and I know how popular it is/was for kegerator conversions so I thought I'd post it. I've actually found 2 on CL that I might be able to pick up, I'm just always worried I'll buy it used and it will crap out after a few months or something. But I guess I'm just a frugal worrier like that.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I just picked up a Sanyo 4912 from my local Fry's last week. It was the last one they had in stock though. In the store it was priced at about $250, but if you order online for store pick up it was $189.99.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what model number is the haier? if my sanyo sh4ts the bed, i will pick one of those up!

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 07-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
piperbrew
Recipes 

sjlammer, what Sanyo are you using?

Quick Reply