Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Making my kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
Cwetherford
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making my kegerator

I am going to be sanding and painting my kegerator this week sometime with chalkboard paint. But my fridge is textured and I am worried about the paint taking and working well because it is chalkboard paint and have never used it I am verrrrry iffy about it what do you guys say about the texture what to do should I worry or what.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I cant really see it giving you a problem with it adhering to the fridge with the proper prep work. The only thing I can see that would give you a problem would be the chalk taking a little longer to clean off since the ridges could make cleaning it harder. But again I highly doubt that would be a problem as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 AM   #3
KowboyTrav
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts

I painted part of my kegerator with chalkboard paint. No prep work at all and it came out great. I had to do two coats for it to get good coverage, but I'm happy with the results. As far as cleaning, a moist paper towel takes the chalk right off.

Primary: Belgian Pale Ale
Bottled: Skeeter Pee
Kegged: IPA

Old 07-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Cwetherford
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowboyTrav
I painted part of my kegerator with chalkboard paint. No prep work at all and it came out great. I had to do two coats for it to get good coverage, but I'm happy with the results. As far as cleaning, a moist paper towel takes the chalk right off.
Can you post a picture

Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I painted my freezer of my fridge with chalkboard paint. I sanded the area thoroughly to try and take down the texture, then used probably 15 coats of paint, (apply, wait 2 hrs, apply, wait, apply, wait, apply wait....). I wetsanded it every 5 coats or so. Worked great, super smooth, but if I were to do it again I'd probably use a super thick primer or bondo first, sand that, THEN apply chalkboard paint, (probably would have reduced the # of coats by quite a few!). I used "adhesion promoter" primer, which is a spray paint can full of solvents and a primer that is a primer in the true sense, (little-to-no thickness).

So, sand it down, Prime it good and wet sand, then apply chalkboard paint, or sand, bondo, sand, paint, or sand, paintpaintpaintpaintpaintpaintpaint-wetsand (repeat 2x).

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS