Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Making my home bar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
dtbritt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Making my home bar

So I redid my home bar some time back, and never bothered to post picture or details about it. My buddy Andrew (ajwillys) has finally convinced me that I should throw a few photos up, so here goes. First, I'll give a brief description of what I did.

Here's what was at my house when I moved in: A 13x11 work shed, done rather nicely. The inside was unfiinished; plank flooring and bare studs. The outside, though, was done up with the same siding as the house. It had french doors and three windows, as well as attic-type storage space.

I actually went through two iterations of a home bar. The first was sort of a makeshift deal, and it's not worth going into a lot of detail on it. But the long and short of it is that I wired the place up for cable, put in insulation, wrapped the walls in plastic, put up drywall on the wall and ceiling, put down laminate flooring, and built a nicer bar.

The bar itself is 11 feet long, all wood. Behind the bar I have a dorm fridge for bottles, and beside that a fermenting fridge. It won't hold much, but it can hold a Tru Brew bucket and a carboy, so I can do two at once. Then there's an empty space where I keep the C02 tanks for the keezer. Finally, there's the keezer. I use a 20 cubic foot freezer chest. I have a few manifolds to split up the CO2 line out to ten couplers. I can only fit 10 1/6th barrels though...if I move up to 1/2 barrels I have to reduce the number I have on tap. These lines feed into a stainless steel tubular tower mounted on the bar, for which I somehow managed to pick up 10 Perlick faucets without my wife catching me and beating the crap out me.

Now that I'm done being a windbag, here are a few photos, starting with the old home bar and followed by renovation and final photos.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=70db69e5ea

On tap 3: Raleighnator Doppelbock
On tap 10: Cliff .22 IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

Very cool!

Old 10-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
jason.mundy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Both sets looked great!

Jason

Old 10-04-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
slakwhere
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 9

that tap set up is sick! was it custom fabricated, scored off craigslist or purchased retail?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
dtbritt
Recipes 

Actually, the tap tower ended up being an extremely lucky buy. I was originally going to build an irish coffin with ten taps, and the price for all the parts for that was going to add up to around $250 to $300. Then my buddy found this tower on eBay for $300. Bought brand new from Rapids Wholesale, the tower is $1,800 ( http://rapidswholesale.com/Merchant2...uct_Code=6A780 ). I of course couldn't resist. It ended up being more, of course, as it came with regular faucets, and I really wanted Perlicks. Luckily, Farmhouse Brewing Supply had a really good deal on them--same price as though you were to buy them in bulk elsewhere. And actually, if anyone's looking for Perlicks, that sale is still running ( http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com/Sc...?idproduct=144 ).

Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Very nice! The pics do not even do it justice. This bar is freakin' nice and the way the keezer slides out the front of the bar is genius!

Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
chriswilkes33
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How do you keep the beer lines cool running from the freezer to the tower?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
akthor
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

dtbriit I sent you a PM

Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #9
shroomzofdoom
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice work. Good call on the subpanel.

How are you cooling that beast of a tower?

My electric BCS-460 build (work in progress)

Coffin cooling lessons

Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
dtbritt
Recipes 

To the questions on cooling the tower: First, the lines between Leviathan (my name for the keezer) and the tower aren't that long as--when the keezer is in place--the tower is position over top of it. I did have to build in some slack to allow the keezer to roll out, and basically when I roll her back into place I slide the lines back into the fridge itself. I've been meaning to make a sort of rubber plug or disc that I can position over the hole in the side, so that little cold air is lost when everything's put together. Haven't gotten around to that, though. The tower, however, does come with a cooling line that runs up one leg, across the tower, and then back out the other leg. Ideally, I'll put a tub of water in the keezer with a pump, and cycle the cold water through the tower. Again, something I haven't gotten round to.

Also, some asked me to put the photos, at least a few (not all 100) inline with this post. In a bit I'll post a few of the before and after (some of them not on facebook, taken of a homebrew competition I hosted literally a day after I finished construction).

Quick Reply