Kegerator with Igloo FR465I-B

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbrewer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After reading a bunch of posts here, I decided to build my own kegerator. I had gotten a two keg kit with a tower from beveragefactory.com. So, I just needed a fridge. I ended up buying an Igloo FR465I-B from Walmart for $119+tax, and that came with a $30 gift card, so the fridge was only $89. I don't see that deal available at the moment, but it may come back.

Here is a pic of the outside. $16 per year, that is cheap
kegerator1.jpg

The freezer is just a plastic box, slides right out.
kegerator2.jpg

The door shelves are screwed on with 17 screws, easy to remove
kegerator3.JPG

The tracks for the shelves needs to be cut back ~3" or so and the thermostat needs to be moved. I cut the plastic with a box cutter.
kegerator4.jpg

kegerator4.jpg

This model has refrigeration lines in the top, so i carefully cut away the plastic on the inside top with a knife to locate the lines. Then I marked where the tower screws and lines should go and drilled from the inside. Be very careful, or use door mounted taps.
kegerator7.jpg

kegerator8.jpg

The hole from the top
kegerator9.jpg

I glued the thermostat back in, and put the CO2 tank on the compressor hump.
kegerator11.jpg

It's a very very tight squeeze, but the two kegs will fit.
kegerator12.jpg

Some very light beer flowing
kegerator13.jpg

I'll fill it with real beer this coming weekend and post updates.
The fridge has no problem keeping the water at 40degrees.

I picked up the same fridge (thinking it was the other style FR465). I was curious, how did you re-attach the door seal? I pulled the shelves out, but it doesn't seal and I'd rather not build a frame for the seal if you have an easier option.

Thanks!

I took the plastic door shelves and cut a strip all around that module to the width of the seal and put that underneath the seal to make it seal properly. I hope that makes sense?

Yeah, makes sense. Thanks for your help and the write up! Just need to get some longer bolts for the tower, but I didn't brick it! Next I'm adding a 140mm fan (ultra quiet computer fan) and the stc-1000. With any luck I will be done tomorrow.:mug:

Was there coolant lines just below the metal outside skin or just the lines above the inside plastic liner?

Thanks, converted mine today... Mine did gave a single line on top that I came across... I just started from the inside with a box knife and took it really slow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm looking to buy a fridge to convert and I've been concerned about the refrigerant lines. How did you know the lines were in the top of the fridge? Also, did you just pick where you wanted the tower to go and start cutting away? How did you go about where to start 'looking' for the refrigerant lines? Thanks.

I just centered the tower and came up 6" from the back and started cutting from the inside with a box knife. The inside skin was easy to cut then there was an aluminum or tin skin that was a bit harder to get through but once I had a small hole in it I just tore it out, to find the lines I just dug out the foam insulation out by hand. I was able to center 2 of the coolant lines inside and the top line seemed to be a return line best guess. The top metal I just pierced a small hole through from the inside and then started cutting with some side cutters. Best of luck to you! Just take it slow...

I just centered the tower and came up 6" from the back and started cutting from the inside with a box knife. The inside skin was easy to cut then there was an aluminum or tin skin that was a bit harder to get through but once I had a small hole in it I just tore it out, to find the lines I just dug out the foam insulation out by hand. I was able to center 2 of the coolant lines inside and the top line seemed to be a return line best guess. The top metal I just pierced a small hole through from the inside and then started cutting with some side cutters. Best of luck to you! Just take it slow...

Thanks man. I'll take it slow and just figure it out as I go along. BTW I have the same setup as you. Same tank, regulator, hosing, etc.... Bevfactory special! Works well too.

It really wasn't too bad to do just be easy on her with the knife and you will be fine... Best of luck and enjoy the project!

I *just* finished my conversion of the same refrigerator. I had to cut a hole in the back to accommodate my co2 tank and noticed that the coolant lines were against the plastic. So I thought that was the way the whole fridge would be. I was wrong. I cut the top, thinking it would be safe going top down, luckily I was still careful and was just trying to take the steel off the top. As soon as it gave way I grabbed my vice grips and peeled it off. There was a coolant line right down the middle and was about 2mm away from slicing it. So if you're trying to convert this fridge, be EXTREMELY careful.
On the plus side, my dual tower is nice a cold without any mods.
Good luck!

Back