Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > kegerater from antique fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Wilsons
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default kegerater from antique fridge

Hello all,

I am looking into building a kegerator, probably no more then 2-3 taps. I would really like to build one from an older 56-60's fridge, like a kelvinator or something similiar but i have a couple reservations before i press forward so i was hoping to maybe find a couple of ya that have something similiar.

First of course is how reliable can these things be? I would be willing to put money into one to keep it running, but if im gonna have to rebuild it every six months with parts that are impossible to find then it might be better to rethink.

And of course, if anyone has any pics of something like this please pass em on!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Depending on size of the unit your going after you might be able to cannibalize a dorm fridge for the cooling components and keep the old school look with modernish tech.

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Fritztheelephant
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here's mine. $10 off Craigslist. Runs like a champ...if anything it is too cold!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...032810_033.JPG

Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Wilsons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritztheelephant View Post
Here's mine. $10 off Craigslist. Runs like a champ...if anything it is too cold!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/...032810_033.JPG
Thats what im talking about, 10 dollars off craigslist was an amazing find! Unfortunetly noone in WV uses craigslist lol so the hunt is on.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a 1952 Coldspot that will hold two ball lock cornies, three if you modify the door a little. Pics at the CL link below.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/1848845567.html

Needs a little paint/rust work and to be rewired (cord dryrotted). I sanded off the old paint and dealt with some rust before painting with rustoleum. I just don't have the time to do more and want to have a keezer with at least four kegs on tap.

But the thing is a beast! When we took it out of my wife's gradnsfather's house, it hadn't been unplugged in like twelve years. The freezer section was encased in ice. So it works.

But I am about seven hours away from you.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
Wilsons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
I have a 1952 Coldspot that will hold two ball lock cornies, three if you modify the door a little. Pics at the CL link below.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/1848845567.html

Needs a little paint/rust work and to be rewired (cord dryrotted). I sanded off the old paint and dealt with some rust before painting with rustoleum. I just don't have the time to do more and want to have a keezer with at least four kegs on tap.

But the thing is a beast! When we took it out of my wife's gradnsfather's house, it hadn't been unplugged in like twelve years. The freezer section was encased in ice. So it works.

But I am about seven hours away from you.
Well now that would be perfect lol, exactly what im loooking for minus the 7 hours away part lol!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Well, if the CL ad doesn't move it and you feel like a drive, It'll be waiting here for you for a bit longer before going to the dump.

If I had a truck, I'd meet you part way. If you decide you want it, I might be able to work something out.

I hate to let it go. I always intended on restoring and turning it into a kegerator. But we have a six-month old and I don't see getting any free time for a project like that.

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Reason: spellnig

Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Wilsons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
Well, if the CL ad doesn't move it and you feel like a drive, It'll be waiting here for you for a bit longer before going to the dump.

If I had a truck, I'd meet you part way. If you decide you want it, I might be able to work something out.

I hate to let it go. I always intended on restoring and turning it into a kegerator. But we have a six-month old and I don't see getting any free time for a project like that.
Well, lets see if you get any takers from the CL ad so you can get rid of it easily, if it doesnt go let me know and we can work something out, that sound good?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
JetSmooth
Recipes 

You got it.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Stevesmirk
Recipes 

I found mine on craigslist by posting an ad that I was looking for an antique fridge for free or very cheap. Spent $20 on it.
Your concerns about reliability: the best thing to do is to turn it on and put a thermometer inside. While it is on, listen to the compressor to make sure it sounds normal. If it gets to temperature, you should be okay.
I took mine apart, and learned that the insulation in 1934 was corrugated cardboard, which harbored the old lady smell. I swapped that out for fiberglass, and it cools more efficiently now. The controller knob used to have to be on 11 of 12 to get cool enough, now it is set to 1.
I had to move the evaporator out of the way in order to fit 2 kegs. If you have to do that, be very careful not to create a leak and lose the refrigerant.
Here are some photos of before and after:

Quick Reply