Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > The 'Keezer' Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #201
stevenryals
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

nice, would you mind posting the outside dimensions of your freezer, mine looks almost the same, and may be the same size..

i was going to use the "colar" method until I found this thread!!!!

Any estimate of what it costs total for this project (minus the faucets, i'll be using cheapo's to start with lol)..

Thanks, and excellend job.. nice work with sketchup.. it's a good program, i used to use it with a real estate remodeling business i used to run...

Primary: Oktoberfest
Secondary: NBC JulyFly, Pliney the Elder
Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter
YTD Gallons Brewed: 155

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #202
centralpabrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe this was covered in an earlier post, but I didn't see it. Where did you get the drip tray?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 12:45 AM   #203
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralpabrewer View Post
Maybe this was covered in an earlier post, but I didn't see it. Where did you get the drip tray?

Thanks
19" STAINLESS DRIP TRAY @ Williams Brewing

Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #204
Lonnie Mac
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester369 View Post
EDIT: I just noticed that my sig link, saying 'Original' Keezer, might lead folks to believe that I think I came up with the whole idea of using a chest freezer for a keg dispenser! I DON'T!!!! I did, however, decided that 'kegerator' was not an accurate name when using a freezer, so I named it 'Keezer.' At the time, there were no references to the term anywhere on HBT, or google, for that matter. So, I think I actually did come up with the name, but CERTAINLY not the idea!!

Ok, so I am finally getting started with the 'Keezer' project! Some time ago, I saw BrewPastors gorgeous chest freezer conversion posted.

Ever since, I have been thinking about how to go about doing my own. What I finally came up with was something along the lines of this:

Looks familiar, no? Well, I told you I liked his

This is not exactly what the finished product is going to look like - I went with a larger freezer than originally planned so that I could get the desired number of kegs in it. The proportions are slightly different, but you get the idea!

The Keezer will be on casters to allow for some portability, although it will be heavy enough that it can't can't be considered 'mobile.'

In the base, there will be a cooling fan that draws air down over the sides of the freezer to draw away heat generated by the compressor. I was not aware when I first started looking into this that todays freezers use the exterior skin to shed heat, and that placing wood directly against it would seriously shorten the life-span of the compressor. Luckily, some sage advice was given on HBT, and a cooling fan was designed in! It will be wired in with the compressor to the Ranco, so whenever the compressor kicks in, so does the cooling fan.

I plan on posting periodic updates and photos as the project progresses.
I have always wanted to tell you my friend, that's a dang nice "keezer"!

It's no matter who came up with the idea!

Lonnie Mac...
President of the Brutus Ten cult!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #205
stevenryals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys View Post
I believe it's a 36" drip tray isn't it?

Keg: Bottled: Grahms English Cider, Kolsch, Newcastle, Stone IPA, Grand Cru Barolo Red, Grand Cru Chianti, Vida Vino Pinot Grigio, Oktoberfest Lager, Grand Cru Peisporter

Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #206
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenryals View Post
I believe it's a 36" drip tray isn't it?
Oh, perhaps it is. I thought I remembered him using this one from Williams.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #207
stevenryals
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i've been trying to find a 36" because i'm converting mine as well...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #208
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac View Post
I have always wanted to tell you my friend, that's a dang nice "keezer"!

It's no matter who came up with the idea!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralpabrewer View Post

Thanks
Yeah, it's a 36. I think I got it from micromatic, but it was so long ago now I can't remember!

EDIT: They have them here

Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #209
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just a real quick question regarding the computer fan mounted below the coffin. You said that it will turn on with the freezer when the temperature controller kicks on. I was wondering if you could detail that just a little more for me. How exactly were you able to wire this into the temp controller? Any additional information would be awesome. Read through all the other posts in the thread and that's really to only thing I'm stuck on at this point.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 05-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #210
Jester369
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
Just a real quick question regarding the computer fan mounted below the coffin. You said that it will turn on with the freezer when the temperature controller kicks on. I was wondering if you could detail that just a little more for me. How exactly were you able to wire this into the temp controller? Any additional information would be awesome. Read through all the other posts in the thread and that's really to only thing I'm stuck on at this point.
Well, I actually never got around to implementing it. The coffin stays cool enough, and there is so little beer in the lines between the chest and the taps, that I never bothered to go back and add the fan.

However, what I was going to do was to have three outlets attached to the temp controller, chained together, so that when the probe calls for cold, the compressor, the duct fan, and the computer fan would all come on. As it is, I have just the duct fan and compressor hooked up right now. Let me know if you need more info!

Quick Reply