Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Keep a fridge from freezing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
michaelandrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Keep a fridge from freezing

I have a fridge in my garage that I'm converting to a kegerator. However, my garage is detached and will get cold enough to freeze. Anyone know of a good product I can use to keep my fridge above freezing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
DakotaPrerunner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You may want to follow this thread. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/will...freeze-376653/ There are a lot of options that you have ranging from a simple light bulb or heat blanket to the more extreme PID controlled dual stage heat/cool systems.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

something to consider: the reason refrigerators work so well is that they keep interior cold air in, they also do a wonderful job of keeping out exterior air. As such, your garage would have to get Alaska cold - and stay that way for a long time for it to actually impact your kegs.

I've frozen kegs, but that's because I was dumb and had my fridge set far too low.

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
blaster_54738
BackDraught Brewing Co
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningweird View Post
something to consider: the reason refrigerators work so well is that they keep interior cold air in, they also do a wonderful job of keeping out exterior air. As such, your garage would have to get Alaska cold - and stay that way for a long time for it to actually impact your kegs.

I've frozen kegs, but that's because I was dumb and had my fridge set far too low.
Based on my personal experience this is not true. My keezer is in the garage and the temps have been anywhere from -5 to 25F. Don't know the temp in my garage but my freezer has not ran in a couple days. My temp controller is saying the temp inside the freezer is 1.0-1.2C. I didn't wire up the heating side of the controller but plan on it and I already have a desk lamp in there to heat it up.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
michaelandrews
Recipes 

I'm thinking of running a heater just on a temperature controller. I'll leave the fridge as is, as it works fine when it gets too warm, I'll just make sure the heater is set below what the fridge is at.

Quick Reply