Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Joining the Magic Chef ranks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Joining the Magic Chef ranks

Had a handful of gift cards so I visited the numbskulls over at Home Depot.

I wired the Love controller into a heavy duty extension cord, breaking the hot wire on the normally closed side of the relay, as I've seen in some images on this site.

I put the probe in through the drain hole for the time being. Jammed a cotton ball in the hole to seal it up. Eventually I hope to make a more integrated setup; this was proof-of-concept more or less.

And here's the view inside. Two Better Bottles just barely cannot fit on the bottom. I'll have to build a collar before I can get a second carboy in there.

Once I finally realized I had to set d0 to Heat instead of Cool, it went from 75 to 60 in about 5 minutes.

So why are we setting it to Heat? Wouldn't it make just as much sense to set it to Cool and use the normally open side of the relay?

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 04:36 AM   #2
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
So why are we setting it to Heat? Wouldn't it make just as much sense to set it to Cool and use the normally open side of the relay?

-Joe

Yup, that would accomplish the exact same thing.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 06-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
John Beere
Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post

-Joe
You've got it wired up backwards. I did the same thing when I was testing my fermentation cabinets and received the new version of the Love controller...

I forget exactly what it was doing as I realized my mistake pretty quick, but it was not behaving properly at all that way.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beere View Post
You've got it wired up backwards. I did the same thing when I was testing my fermentation cabinets and received the new version of the Love controller...
I originally had it hooked up to the normally open side of the box, just based on how I thought things should work. Then I found this thread here with wiring diagrams from two different members that showed the same thing. From EdWort's post:

Both images clearly show the power going to the normally closed side, and I found a different post saying to set d0 to Ht. So I thought there was a reason it was being done this way.

-Joe

Quick Reply