Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Jersh's Keezer build... Keezer thread #1,493,829

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Lilrascal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheHopDog View Post
Jersh,
I got mine up and running Saturday with nothing cooling the inside of the coffin. About 12" of beer line is all that's not in the feezer. 1/4 of the first pour of the day is a bit foamy, but it’s fine after that.
I was thinking of having the tubing inside the coffin running inside some flexible copper tubing that extends into the freezer. Have you tried this with yours? If that does not work on mine I just may cool the coffin. Just looking for peoples input.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM   #12
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's 2 1/8". I have that size hole saw and didn't want to spend $$$ on a smaller one. Seems fine, I just stuffed a piece of foam in the hole to close it up a bit. If you want to use it, let me know, I'll meet you for a beer.

BTW, looks great! That Strawberry Blonde will be a good first pour.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheHopDog View Post
It's 2 1/8". I have that size hole saw and didn't want to spend $$$ on a smaller one. Seems fine, I just stuffed a piece of foam in the hole to close it up a bit. If you want to use it, let me know, I'll meet you for a beer.

BTW, looks great! That Strawberry Blonde will be a good first pour.
hmmmm... I just cut a big ass hole in my lid haha, it's 12"x5"... I hope the big hole doesn't cause any problems.... I figured the big hole might help keep the coffin box cool and prevent foamy first pours. I guess time will tell!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #14
Jersh
Recipes 

Well I finished up the construction of my keezer tonight, I had to put together a lid for my coffin box and I drilled the holes for the shanks. I left a spot in the middle for future expansion to a 5th faucet, which will most likely be a stout faucet.... I went ahead and sanded it all down tonight as well, so I might put on the first coat of stain tomorrow evening.... Here it is in it's current state:

and here's a better view of the coffin box. I do not plan on permanently securing the lid, I want to keep it removable so I can have easy access to the beer lines. I think I'm doing to get some magnet strips that I will use to hold it in place so it doesn't fall off when I open the lid to change tanks.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:56 AM   #15
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Look Freaking awesome man! I'm jealous.

Do much stuff I 'need' for brewing. E-HERMS, grain mill, kick ass keezer...

Old 05-12-2010, 03:22 AM   #16
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilrascal View Post
I was thinking of having the tubing inside the coffin running inside some flexible copper tubing that extends into the freezer. Have you tried this with yours? If that does not work on mine I just may cool the coffin. Just looking for peoples input.
That's not a bad idea. I wonder how far outside the freezer the copper would get and stay cold?

I've also considered a computer fan on a box inside the freezer with an exhaust tube up into the coffin box. Pull in cold air, blow it into the coffin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
hmmmm... I just cut a big ass hole in my lid haha, it's 12"x5"...
Jersh, you may want to insulate the inside of your coffin to cut down on heat. They have some 5/8" pink insulation board at HD or Lowe's that I want to put inside mine. Maybe two thicknesses. I know cold air sinks, but your freezer may run a lot with that size hole in the top.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 AM   #17
Jersh
Recipes 

I've spent the last few days and evenings working on getting this beast stained... She's finally done (at least the exterior construction is done, I haven't started plumbing her yet) and we roller her into the house tonight. I went with red mohagony stain... I had to put 3 coats on to get it to the correct depth of color to match our dining room table and wine rack that the keezer is sharing a room with... It matches pretty dang good... I probably should have went with semi-gloss poly instead of gloss, but oh well, too late now.

The other incredible surprise that I got was that I'll be able to fit 8 kegs in this thing if I want! The person I bought it from said that it's only 8 cubic feet, but I think it must be a little bigger than that. Or maybe not, who knows... Anyways, I can fit 6 kegs on the floor, and 2 more on the hump.... More than likely I'll never have that many in there, I'll probably end up using the hump for lagering.

The swamp-cooler on the right contains the strawberry blonde that will be the first beer that we have on tap... It would normally be in the fermentation fridge that is to the left of the keezer but I had to put it in a bucket instead of Better-bottle because of all the strawberries, and the thermostate adjustment in the fridge is in the way and the bucket won't fit... the beauty of this fridge is that I can set it on '2' and it will hold steady between 60 and 62F.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #18
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

wow its beautiful. did you do tyhe engravings on the coffin box yourself? they are awesome. hope it poors good.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 AM   #19
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Looks frickin awesome dude! Great job!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
Jersh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrichie View Post
wow its beautiful. did you do tyhe engravings on the coffin box yourself? they are awesome. hope it poors good.
Thanks!

Na the trim I bought was already engraved... The trim along the bottom of the keezer and bottom of the coffin box are the same, just basic engraved base-board... The trim along the top of the coffin box has the same engraving but it's chair rail so it's a different shape... All came from Home Depot...

Quick Reply