Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Jersh's Keezer build... Keezer thread #1,493,829

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Jersh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Default Jersh's Keezer build... Keezer thread #1,493,829

My wife and I recently relocated from DC to Florida. As soon as I realized that we were going to be living in a house with plenty of room I immediately began making plans for a keezer… That was about four months ago and I finally found time to get this beast started. On Thursday I picked up a used 8 cf deep freezer off Craigslist for $40. It’s about 8 years old and I’m praying that the beer Gods will keep this thing running for another 8 or more years. It will eventually be a 4 tap keezer once all is said and done. SWMBO left town after work yesterday to go see her mom for the weekend, so I figured yesterday and today would be an ideal time to get this going.

Here is a photo after I attached the collar. I’m cautiously optimistic that I might be able to squeeze 5 cornies onto the floor of this thing, but incase I can’t I wanted to have room on the hump to have a backup ready. I also plan on adding a 5th tap eventually, perhaps a stout faucet. As you can see I extended the base and collar an extra ~12 inches past the freezer, I did that so I could store the CO2 tank outside but still have it hidden.

Here is a photo of the paneling as it is being attached… This stuff ended up being more of a PITA than I was expecting it to be, but I guess the main reason it was a PITA is simply because I’d never worked with it and really didn’t know what I was doing with it, so I had to remove it and reinstall a couple times before I got it right.

Here is a photo of the main cabinet with all the paneling installed, as well as the base trim installed. The upper trim really wasn’t necessary because it’s going to be hidden as you’ll see in a few more photos, but it does make it look better when the lid is opened.

Here is the main cabinet essentially complete and ready for the lid

Here is the trim that I wrapped the bar with, it’s just a basic 1x4. The box is a box of books being used for weight while the liquid nails dried. I stained these pieces first just so I wouldn’t have to worry about getting stain on the bar top. Which by the way is really the only thing I’m disappointed in with this project… I wanted to use the Krylon ‘Make it Stone’ paint that Guntr used for his keezer build
but I couldn't find it locally at any of the Home Depots nearby. I ended up some textured spray paint that I thought was going to be closer to a black, but it was more of a silvirish gray, so I ended up painting over that with the Krylon 'Hammered' black paint... It's fine as it is, but I think the stone stuff that Guntr used looks great and I think it would have looked nice on mine as well.

And finally, here it is as it stands now... The coffin box isn't attached yet, I still have to add the corner trim and I'm also going to build a removable 'lid' that will allow me to access the beer line. I fully intended on building that today as well, however the only piece of lumber that I had left was 11" and I needed 11 1/4", ain't that a beyotch! I didn't feel like making another run to HD, so I just cleaned up everything and will tackle it again sometime soon!

I'll continue to add photos as I get closer to completion, but all-in-all I'm very pleased with the progress I made yesterday and today! This is my first attempt at something like this so overall I'm very pleased with the way it's turning out. I will say that it's a lot bigger than I was prepared for.... SWMBO hasn't seen it yet and I think she's going to soil her panties when she does lol, but oh well. You know what they say, 'tis easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission, however I did have permission, she just didn't realize what she was signing up for when she agreed to this!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Excellent work! Makes my keezer collar look pretty low rent. How are you cooling the tower that far above the original freezer?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #3
HOP-HEAD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Nice looking rig... I like it.

I'm disappointed that I hadn't thought to enlarge mine like you did. I'd have done similar, except on mine, I might have insulated the extension, accommodated airflow from the main freezer body, put shelves in it, and put a door on the front of it. That'd give me room to store frosty mugs and some bottles of other brews...

Old 05-09-2010, 02:16 AM   #4
Jersh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeDogsNE View Post
Excellent work! Makes my keezer collar look pretty low rent. How are you cooling the tower that far above the original freezer?
I'm not sure yet actually, I'm certainly open to suggestions!

Right now my plan is to cut a fairly large hole in the lid for the lines to run through... I might even make it basically the size of the coffin... which was originally 10.5"x17.5" before I added the outer paneling and trim... So I'll probably cut the whole to about 9" x 16" or so... I'm also going to install a couple fans to help keep the temperatures even, and I'll be fully insulating the inside of the coffin, as well as insulating the inner surface of the collar. I'm not sure if that will be enough to keep the lines cool or not... If not, I'll attach a hose to a fan in the main part of the freezer and run it up to the coffin to supply cold air that way.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
kegtoe

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Jersh, check out my build. i dont use anything to cool my coffin and get great pours

Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

your external CO2 tank idea is freaking genius!

Im starting to plan on keezer build for this winter (have to get a house first, *sigh*) and I thought a 7 or 8 would be great (hard to find 14+ on CL), but the damn tank!

Now this, maybe a little side door to adjust the pressures, awesome. Will you be running one line into the cooler and regulate from there, or 5 lines into the cooler?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
Jersh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNothing View Post
Will you be running one line into the cooler and regulate from there, or 5 lines into the cooler?
I haven't decided yet... I'm still debating on how I want to do it, I haven't ordered any of the regulators, tubing, quick disconnects, etc... All I have right now are my Perlick faucets and shanks, the rest will be ordered soon.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
ThreeDogsNE
Good for what ales you
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have my CO2 tank sitting outside next to the keezer, with dual regulators leading to dual lines that go through the collar. I have manifolds inside to allow splitting for the different Cornies. The wheats are on higher pressure than the porter and Scotch ale. You could certainly use one or two secondary regulators inside to accomplish the same thing.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Jersh,
I got mine up and running Saturday with nothing cooling the inside of the coffin. About 12" of beer line is all that's not in the feezer. 1/4 of the first pour of the day is a bit foamy, but it’s fine after that.

Keith

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
Jersh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheHopDog View Post
Jersh,
I got mine up and running Saturday with nothing cooling the inside of the coffin. About 12" of beer line is all that's not in the feezer. 1/4 of the first pour of the day is a bit foamy, but it’s fine after that.
Glad to hear you got it up and running! How big is the 'hole' that you cut for your beer lines to run through?

On a side note, SWMBO got home from her weekend away yesterday afternoon, and much to my pleasure she loves the keezer! I hadn't told her what it was going to look like, I kept telling her I was building a kegerator, so she had no idea what to expect.

Quick Reply