Holiday 5.0 Keezer Build... Finally!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeagles87

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just started my first keezer build. Picked up the Holiday 5.0 at Lowes the other day. I moved into an apartment and had to scrap my original plans for 16 cu ft one, but I can't wait to get this one up and running.

I've been remodeling my place so it's messy and my workroom is my empty bedroom. But it gave me the opportunity to do this before it's all finished. (Couch sleeping for 2 1/2 months is not fun, unless you've had a few beers)

As for this freezer I can fit 4 kegs inside and I will be mounting the CO2 outside. I am planning a 1x10 collar with 1" foam inside. All of the taps and other accessories will have to wait a few weeks until I get back from some much needed R&R.

I figured I start this now and add as I go. I've made the base with 3" swivel casters, the 2 in front have brakes. I will be making it into a cabinet and have the front out 6 inches so there will be a ledge with a drip tray under the taps. And I will have a counter space for glasses on the side above where the CO2 tank will be.

The collar has already been cut and tomorrow it will be stained.

4779-brand-new-freezer.jpg

brand new freezer!

4780-4-5gal-cornys-2-hump-2-floor.jpg

4 kegs, 2 on the hump and 2 on the floor

4781-rolling-base.jpg

the rolling base... where it all begins

Looks like you're going to need to make quite the collar to fit over the ones in the hump. Good luck though, wish I had the space in my apartment for one right now. Luckily, buying a house next summer is in the plans, so there should/WILL definitely be enough space for it there.

The kegs are 6 1/2 inches above the rim. So The collar, which I just measured again is 9.25" wide. There should be plenty of room when all is said and done.

Sweet kegs! I have the same freezer but I am only doing 3 kegs. The spare room will be for bottled beer, chilled glasses, etc. Mine is almost done. Good luck with yours!

Yes this freezer is great. From another thread, it looks like the hump is not as high as it used to, which gives you more room for the connections at the top.

Just a piece of advice: if you put the taps on the front, make sure to use short shanks and/or place the shanks a little bit to the left. Mine are centered, 3" apart (center to center), and the right tap tailpiece is in contact with the 4th keg. Luckily, this shank is short enough so that I can bend the beer line and have room for the keg.

Any plan to paint your keezer ?
Edit: no paint, since you put it in a cabinet... I should have paid more attention to your post :)

I picked up my kegs on ebay, and they were an awesome deal.
And thanks for the tip Mathieu. It does look a little tight, so I'll mount them on the side opposite the hump. Your build looks freakin cool, I like the hinged idea.

Well I have built the framing for the sides and the collar. I use poplar for the collar and did butt joints for the corners. I used titebond II glue and it is crazy strong, but I will reinforce with metal brackets after it is finished.

I picked up the rest of the wood for the sides and top, but my building doesn't allow bringing building materials in the regular elevator and the freight is closed on Sundays. So it is on hold for another day.

4796-collar-assembled-used-titebond-ii-wood-glue.jpg

collar assembled

4797-butt-joint-keezer-collar.jpg

I sanded this thing like crazy to make it as smooth as possible. Here it is... the big butt.... joint.

4799-after-staining-red-mahogany.jpg

stained w/ red mahongany. nothing like the smell of rich mahogany and many leather bound books

4798-frame-built.jpg

the frame. I used liquid nails first to set it then screws to secure it. probably overkill though.

Well I have managed to get a little bit more done. Still have to order the fun parts. any tips for setup would be great.

4825-frame-counter-will-lid.jpg

the frame for the countertop that will be going on the top of the lid. It will be removeable, but is a good fit on top.

4826-outside-built-my-poor-woodworking-evident-here-im-glad-they-make-wood-filler.jpg

It's built, but still needs to be painted. I am no carpenter and am very glad wood filler is available to cover my mistakes.

4827-collar-insulation.jpg

the insulation in the collar, i will use a silicone sealant to attach it. Just wanted to show what I'm using.

I just received all of the rest of the materials for my build. 525 perlick taps, 4 product secondary regulator, eva dry dehumidifier, computer fan and cord, and more! I'll have all day tomorrow to put the 2nd coat of paint on and assemble it. Perfect timing for my two batches that are ready to be kegged!
Any tips for better hose management would be appreciated so it's not a tangled mess.

Here it is all done. Just need to wait a week more to keg up a couple of batches, and test it out. I'll post pics of the first pint.

5017-completed-keezer.jpg

The completed keezer.

5018-removable-counter-top-lid.jpg

The wood piece on the lid is removable.

5019-insides.jpg

The Insides. I still have to spray foam, and put the temp controller probe inside.

5020-rear-end.jpg

The rear end

Thanks, I wanted to try to do something a little different. Not quite what I thought it was going to look like in my head. But it looks good, keeps the beer cold, and dispenses a tasty beverage.

Well I realized I had a few miscalculations. Probably due to planning after a few beers. The height of the taps is too low compared to the counter to fit a glass under. I took a saw to it and dropped the piece under the taps about 6 inches. I'll post pics once it is finished up with paint.
Note to others, triple check measurements before and during the build, not after!

i really like the idea of having the cabinet bigger than the cooler so you can fit the tank in it. why not symmetrical though?

It has to fit in a specific spot in my apartment. There wasn't much room for it with all that I wanted to do. But it works, and I just pulled off the first pint with a big grin. I purposely brewed 2 session beers for this so I could keep getting up to use it.

Thank you very much. I am all done with the build. I put an eva dry inside to absorb excess moisture and wired a computer fan to blow air up when the freezer kicks on. It works great. Here is the final picture of my updated keezer.

5252-all-done-tasty-pint-poured.jpg

Back