Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Help me spend some money

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
thrlskr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Help me spend some money

I need to buy a freezer to make a fermentation chamber. Ideally it could hold without modification, 2 6gal better bottles and 2 cornies. What size freezer do I need?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Darn, with a title like htat I was going to suggest you send me a check....

You know the last few weeks there have been tons of Kegorators available in the DC craigslist.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Any particular reason it has to be a freezer? I'm guessing a larger regular fridge would hold two BB and two cornies in a smaller footprint.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
thrlskr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I'm hoping to slide it under a workbench, but a fridge might work. I have a freezer in my keezer (still building). So I'm more familiar with controlling temps that way.

I'm looking at DC CL, but still don't know what the min size requirement is.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have a mid size upright freezer and the tubes for the freon run through the wire shelves. That makes turning it into a keezer or tap box a little more difficult. You must make sure that you do not crack or crink a line or the system will not work properly. I used a set of dykes and cut away as much of the wire mesh as I could get to and carefully moved the exposed coils out of the way. The shelves that are remaining have not been altered so I can stack bottles on them in addition to two pin lock kegs. There is ample room and the STC-1000 is working nicely so far. I am currently maintaining 55 degrees F and plan to drop it a bit once the major fermentation has completed and maintain lager temps from then on. Hope this helps, just be extra cautious if the tubes for the freon are visible inside the box so you don't create a leak.
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
porcupine73
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 513

For that description I'm going to say it would need to be at least about an 8.8 cuft, and ideally probably 10+ cuft to avoid having to sit anything on the hump. The specific internal dimensions vary between models, so ideally maybe lay out your stuff on the floor the way you want it, then measure the envelope and then go to Lowes or wherever and see what sizes seem to fit.

Quick Reply