Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Help building a kegarator
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #1
LiquidLunch5211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 136
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Help building a kegarator

I am looking to build a kegarator. I have looked at many mini fridges. I need help on a few items... What is the recommended size to fit 2 corny kegs inside? Also if I buy a fridge with the freezer on the upper part of the fridge should that be removed or find one without a freezer?
Any help would be great

__________________

Primary: American brown ale
Secondary:
Kegged: Irish Cream Stout
Kegged: American Lager

Wine: Pinot

LiquidLunch5211 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 696
Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

How much are you looking to spend? I converted a chest freezer into a 4 tap kegerator...but it was somewhat costly...

__________________
brettg20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #3
LiquidLunch5211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 136
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg20 View Post
How much are you looking to spend? I converted a chest freezer into a 4 tap kegerator...but it was somewhat costly...
I am not looking to go crazy,. thats why I am asking around to get the most info I can get before I invest and build.
__________________

Primary: American brown ale
Secondary:
Kegged: Irish Cream Stout
Kegged: American Lager

Wine: Pinot

LiquidLunch5211 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #4
brettg20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 696
Liked 83 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Just to give you an idea of what I spent....and how it added up quickly:

Chest Freezer $300
2 Stainless Double Towers $300 for both
2 co2 tanks $200 for both
2 Dual regulators $100 for both
Don't remember how much for Drip trays, beer line etc.

I know I could have done this way cheaper but I didn't want to and am now glad that I didn't. I bought most of it from www.beveragefactory.com I lived close by so I didn't have to pay for shipping. Hope this helps....

__________________
brettg20 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #5
LiquidLunch5211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 136
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I just trying to get some good info before buying something that wont wont well.

__________________

Primary: American brown ale
Secondary:
Kegged: Irish Cream Stout
Kegged: American Lager

Wine: Pinot

LiquidLunch5211 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:28 AM   #6
LiquidLunch5211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 136
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If I don't use a chest freezer and use a mini fridge what size is recommended and is the freezer on the top going to be a problem? Do people leave them and have room for a corny or should I look for one without that freezer. I just need a small fridge with a double tower.
I know there was a thread with pictures of peoples kegorators but I cant find it.
Thanks

__________________

Primary: American brown ale
Secondary:
Kegged: Irish Cream Stout
Kegged: American Lager

Wine: Pinot

LiquidLunch5211 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #7
Yaap10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidLunch5211
If I don't use a chest freezer and use a mini fridge what size is recommended and is the freezer on the top going to be a problem? Do people leave them and have room for a corny or should I look for one without that freezer. I just need a small fridge with a double tower.
I know there was a thread with pictures of peoples kegorators but I cant find it.
Thanks
Just a normal household under the counter fridge will work fine with room in it for ur 2 kegs and ur gas bottle and one with a freezer on top will work fine aswell with taps that mount on the door
__________________
Yaap10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #8
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
autobaun70's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 467
Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts

Default

I'm not a home brew expert by any stretch of the imagination.......but a kegerator, I've got that down pretty good. To start with, you aren't likely to find a mini fridge that will be easily convertible into a keg fridge. They have two problems, first the compressor hump in the bottom, and also the "freezer" up top. The freezer area is actually the coils that cool the entire thing. Find for a garage fridge for cans, but not much else. There just isn't enough space in these things to do much with them.

The most inexpensive route you can go is a standard fridge conversion. I've been using the same gear since 2000 (purchased used off of ebay then). It has been moved around from fridge to fridge on several occasional, actually had it installed in a university owned fridge when in college. With this setup, you have plenty of space for a full size 1/2 barrel, or a huge variety of smaller commercial or corney kegs. Conversion kits will vary from $130-$200. A standard top/bottom kitchen style fridge freezer combination can be had from Craigslist for under 150 bucks in most cases, you just have to build a platform to support the keg, the factory shelf won't be up to the task.

The one thing I will recommended before considering any conversion kit purchase is to figure out your local CO2 situation before you buy. You are going to have to get your bottle filled at a welding supply shop or possibly a fire extinguisher or paint ball supply store. Shops that will actually fill a bottle can be scarce at times, those that do fills on site have a tendency to make you wait to get the fill done. What I did was to pick up a 10 lb tank from my local welding supply shop, cost was $50.00 or so if I remember correctly. When time for a new tank comes, just give them a few bucks and they swap it out, no waiting. If it is going to be pain for fills, no need to pay for the 5lb bottle included with many kits. Besides, going with a bigger tank isn't all that expensive, and you don't have to get it filled nearly as often.

On my standard fridge conversion, I put the tap (going to be 2 taps in the next few days) through the sidewall rather than the door. This keeps from having any lines moving around when you open or close the door, and also retains full use of the fridge door for storage. Once my 2nd faucet/shank comes in, I will be set up to have two beers on tap, plus 3 more under CO2 pressure for carbonation. The freezer is nice for keeping frosted Pints/Mugs, ice, ect. Once note I will add here, if you are using corneys, keeping uniform post types will allow you to switch which beer is being served in seconds, you have to burn a couple ounces of beer remaining in the line. I am actually planning on putting a ball lock post coming off of my commercial coupler so that I can put it in and out of service as needed. Home brew is great, but personally I love keeping the option open to have a light weight domestic on tap for parties. Regardless, I would at least set up for 2 faucets. I don't mind anyone drinking my good beer, but if it isn't their thing and they would rather drink the cheap stuff, fine by me.

Below is a picture of my setup, I have about $350.00 total in it, including the fridge. You can easily go with a more attractive fridge if being used inside the house. For garage duty, this serves quite well. Another easy option is the freezer conversions, basically just have to add a tower or collar to a standard fridge conversion kit, plus a conversion thermostat.

Oh, most important thing to know about having a kegerator in the garage. If your neighbor knows the code to the garage door keypad, they are going to invade your beer supply, and probably be playing darts in your garage when you get home from work......most days of the week.

img00084-20110125-2304.jpg

img00085-20110125-2306.jpg

img00087-20110125-2308.jpg

__________________
autobaun70 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 AM   #9
Yaap10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by autobaun70
I'm not a home brew expert by any stretch of the imagination.......but a kegerator, I've got that down pretty good. To start with, you aren't likely to find a mini fridge that will be easily convertible into a keg fridge. They have two problems, first the compressor hump in the bottom, and also the "freezer" up top. The freezer area is actually the coils that cool the entire thing. Find for a garage fridge for cans, but not much else. There just isn't enough space in these things to do much with them.

The most inexpensive route you can go is a standard fridge conversion. I've been using the same gear since 2000 (purchased used off of ebay then). It has been moved around from fridge to fridge on several occasional, actually had it installed in a university owned fridge when in college. With this setup, you have plenty of space for a full size 1/2 barrel, or a huge variety of smaller commercial or corney kegs. Conversion kits will vary from $130-$200. A standard top/bottom kitchen style fridge freezer combination can be had from Craigslist for under 150 bucks in most cases, you just have to build a platform to support the keg, the factory shelf won't be up to the task.

The one thing I will recommended before considering any conversion kit purchase is to figure out your local CO2 situation before you buy. You are going to have to get your bottle filled at a welding supply shop or possibly a fire extinguisher or paint ball supply store. Shops that will actually fill a bottle can be scarce at times, those that do fills on site have a tendency to make you wait to get the fill done. What I did was to pick up a 10 lb tank from my local welding supply shop, cost was $50.00 or so if I remember correctly. When time for a new tank comes, just give them a few bucks and they swap it out, no waiting. If it is going to be pain for fills, no need to pay for the 5lb bottle included with many kits. Besides, going with a bigger tank isn't all that expensive, and you don't have to get it filled nearly as often.

On my standard fridge conversion, I put the tap (going to be 2 taps in the next few days) through the sidewall rather than the door. This keeps from having any lines moving around when you open or close the door, and also retains full use of the fridge door for storage. Once my 2nd faucet/shank comes in, I will be set up to have two beers on tap, plus 3 more under CO2 pressure for carbonation. The freezer is nice for keeping frosted Pints/Mugs, ice, ect. Once note I will add here, if you are using corneys, keeping uniform post types will allow you to switch which beer is being served in seconds, you have to burn a couple ounces of beer remaining in the line. I am actually planning on putting a ball lock post coming off of my commercial coupler so that I can put it in and out of service as needed. Home brew is great, but personally I love keeping the option open to have a light weight domestic on tap for parties. Regardless, I would at least set up for 2 faucets. I don't mind anyone drinking my good beer, but if it isn't their thing and they would rather drink the cheap stuff, fine by me.

Below is a picture of my setup, I have about $350.00 total in it, including the fridge. You can easily go with a more attractive fridge if being used inside the house. For garage duty, this serves quite well. Another easy option is the freezer conversions, basically just have to add a tower or collar to a standard fridge conversion kit, plus a conversion thermostat.

Oh, most important thing to know about having a kegerator in the garage. If your neighbor knows the code to the garage door keypad, they are going to invade your beer supply, and probably be playing darts in your garage when you get home from work......most days of the week.

<img src="http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19764"/>

<img src="http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19767"/>

<img src="http://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19768"/>
I agree with u but u can get the undercounted fridge without freezer in it he only wants it for 2 kegs so the compressor hump will b ok the co2 cylinder would sit nicely on it that's what I use, and the fridge with freezer on top I was thinking of the 3/4 fridge- freezer models I got my undercounted fridge with no freezer in it at Argos in Ireland for 100 euro
__________________
Yaap10 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #10
autobaun70
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
autobaun70's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 467
Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaap10 View Post
I agree with u but u can get the undercounted fridge without freezer in it he only wants it for 2 kegs so the compressor hump will b ok the co2 cylinder would sit nicely on it that's what I use, and the fridge with freezer on top I was thinking of the 3/4 fridge- freezer models I got my undercounted fridge with no freezer in it at Argos in Ireland for 100 euro
I understand completely, the cool factor of a tower on the counter top is tough to beat. My only holdup on a setup like that is that I know I would never be satisfied with only 2 kegs. With the amount of time it takes to get a keg aged and carbed, to me having the capacity for 3-4 at a minimum is vital. Also, I wouldn't want to be restricted to only using corneys. To each there own, just keep in mind when designing a system to analyze the negatives to any given design you come up with along with the up sides to be sure it is going fit your needs in addition to your space.
__________________
autobaun70 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a kegerator!! Boomer Kegerators and Keezers 32 04-13-2010 04:36 PM
Nearly done building my Mash Tun!! St. Jon's Wort Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 03-01-2010 08:43 PM
Building an HLT.. Hawgbranch Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 9 12-29-2009 03:13 AM
building my first MLT 400d Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 27 12-26-2009 04:01 PM
Building a Wet Bar Lepoc2635 Kegerators and Keezers 9 07-27-2007 11:03 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS