Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #61
wizodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotmalt View Post
So looking at the diagram, it looks like I'd be loosening (lefty loosy) the screw to get it above freezing right? In your experience, how many turns should I start off with for my first stab at 40 degrees?
If you note the diagram, +40F is probably about as high as it will go when completely backed off (since refrigerators are supposed to stay colder than 40 for the most part.)

Back the coarse adjustment out as far as it will go (it should stop.)

Put in a thermometer--I like a bit of mass to stabilize the reading, so I use a half-gallon of water.

Turn the unit on it's highest temperature setting with the fine adjustment knob--turn it on to the first number.

Run for 2-4 hours and check the temperature about every half hour or so after the first 2 hours, when it's stabilized, it should be right around +40. If the temp is too low, I'm not sure what to do, but if it is too high, adjust it with the fine adjustment in steps until you hit the desired temperature. If you adjust the fine adjustment all the way and are still too warm, then turn the coarse adjustment screw inward again a couple turns and measure again.

The temp range for most freezers is factory set so that the high temperature is around 0F. The lowest possible temperature is probably around -40, the highest possible temperature is around 40F.

***Addendum

Having written this while working on a 9yo Kenmore(253-Frigidaire/Electrolux) i cursed myself.

This particular unit fully backed out, runs @15F, so I've ordered an external control....

Reason: addition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #62
newnick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've been following this thread a while now and have a question.
Can this be done to a mini fridge to get up to Ale fermenting temps, say 60 degrees?
Or is this just applicable for a freezer to get to serving temps or lagering temps.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #63
vince805
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks gnomeenthusiast, I found it! Heres some pics to help others out.

imag0364.jpg   imag0365.jpg   imag0366.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #64
GnomeEnthusiast
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's it! I have the same one, and mine had tape over the hole too. I've got it at 44 F, and I'm going to turn it ccw about half-a-turn until I get a consistent 40 F.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #65
Peter_h
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboynate2005 View Post
Tried twice with my holiday and it is setting at 46 right now. The screw is on the bottom under the sticker and I ended up turning mine clockwise. Just need to fine tune now. Guess I will us my aquarium controller on a fermentation chamber. Thanks for the heads up.
What size is your holiday and how many turns did it take you?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #66
Triple9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tried this with last night with a GE 7.0 CF. Ended up screwing the coarse screw in all the way (10-12 full turns) and setting the fine adjustment to 1. Best it would do was about 31 degrees. After 8 hours a mason jar of water was not quite frozen. When I get around to building a collar, I'm guessing it will boost the overall temperature enough to be usable without a controller, but SOL for the moment.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #67
wizodd
Recipes 

Default Frigidaire screw location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince805 View Post
I can't find a screw on mine, am I looking in the right place? Heres some pics
On th 9yo chest I'm working with, the screw is between the power contacts.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #68
wizodd
Recipes 

Default A note on thermometers, thermostats and temperature control

Accurate thermometers seem to be very difficult to make for some reason, a great many--even laboratory units--are more precise then they are accurate. (e.g. The thermometer reads to 0.1 degree but is only accurate to +-2 degrees.)

This is true of ALL thermometers, including the electronic ones.

If you go to a store and look at all of the thermometers of the same make & model, you will likely find that they differ from each other--sometimes considerably

You can calibrate a thermometer using distilled water and assuming that the reading at the point where there is a combination of ice and water is 32F (0C.)

**Note that beer & wine & such do not freeze at this temperature, but a bit lower down to 27F sometimes, and possibly lower.

Another issue which affects things is the on-off range tolerance.

Obviously(?) if the set temperature and the on/off temperatures are the same, your unit will cycle a lot trying to stay in that small zone (the answer to maintaining such a close tolerance is to have more insulation and as much thermal mass as you can.)

Because of this, you will note that if you turn the thermostat down until the unit kicks in, back it off until it shuts off and then turn it down again, the compressor will not start immediately, but will delay. This is to keep the motor from quickly cycling on/off which is not good for the motor.

So far, I've not found a unit on the low end which allows you to adjust this range between turn off and restart. The external units do seem to have this ability--at least some of them.

What this means is that any temperature adjustments to fine-tune things need to have some time between adjustments.

** When you set a thermostat you are not setting a temperature. Rather you are setting a temperature range.

What all this boils down to is that the reading on your thermometer/thermostat cannot necessarily be trusted, but this doesn't really make any practical difference, since each setup--like an oven--will have it's own quirks.

Best advice is to keep a log if you're brewing, and see what works for you. Remember that the room temperature will affect how frequently the temperature cycles, and thus the number of times per day that the contents cycle through the temperature range. (For serving of course, set it to what tastes best to you and log where those settings are for different brews.)

Old 06-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #69
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3253 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple9 View Post
Tried this with last night with a GE 7.0 CF. Ended up screwing the coarse screw in all the way (10-12 full turns) and setting the fine adjustment to 1. Best it would do was about 31 degrees. After 8 hours a mason jar of water was not quite frozen. When I get around to building a collar, I'm guessing it will boost the overall temperature enough to be usable without a controller, but SOL for the moment.
Unfortunately the collar probably won't help you. The decrease in insulation value and increase in volume to be cooled will only make the compressor work a little harder to get to the temp that the thermostat is set to, but it won't change that temp.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #70
Pieceman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince805 View Post
Thanks gnomeenthusiast, I found it! Heres some pics to help others out.
I have a Frigidaire 7.2 cf. This was my exact thermostat and the coarse adjustment was right where you pointed out. Can't thank you enough for the pictures. Happy brewing!!

Quick Reply