Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #461
rideincircles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a frigidaire ffc07m2aw1 5 ft freezer and plan on trying this tomorrow. What piece do I adjust? The temperature dial area or somewhere else? Hoping to get this ready by the weekend. Have a backup fridge in case i cant get it right and ordered 2 fridge thermometers here wednesday.

photo.jpg  

Started brewing February 2012:
All grain and partial mash brewer depending on time. Meads and apfelwein also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #462
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I read thru lots of posts yesterday and think I got it right on the first try, although it may need a little tweaking. I screwed the screw in about 10 turns and my compressor wasn't coming on, backed out a few turns and got it to start running. It didn't seem like the compressor was coming on when set to 1, but set to 3 it came on and my bottles of water inside were not frozen overnight, just cold. I ordered a couple fridge thermometers to check it out. I was hoping to use my keg system asap, so I may end up dragging an old fridge inside until I have it tweaked.

So far looks good at the moment. No clue what temperature its at yet though.

wasatchbrewer Likes This 
Old 06-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #463
wasatchbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I filled a bucket with 5 gallons of water to use as a base when tweaking the the screw with a floating thermometer. This gave me an accurate reading of what it will be like when I put in my fermenter bucket with the real stuff It could be the compressor wasn't coming on because it was still warming up to the kick-on point. You will definitely need a thermometer to dial it the correct settings. I would recommend using thermometer in water to get an accurate reading. A thermometer reading the air temp won't be as accurate.

Good job on figuring out where the screw was located!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #464
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideincircles View Post
I have a frigidaire ffc07m2aw1 5 ft freezer and plan on trying this tomorrow. What piece do I adjust? The temperature dial area or somewhere else? Hoping to get this ready by the weekend. Have a backup fridge in case i cant get it right and ordered 2 fridge thermometers here wednesday.

For me it was on the dial that is attached to the grill that you removed. I pulled off the dial knob and underneath, there was a piece of tape covering a small screw. Turning that screw clockwise should give you a higher temp.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #465
DUDEbeer
Recipes 

Well I think the new holiday 7 cu ft. freezer I bought won't quite get that warm. I found the coarse adjustment screw via the under white tape after pulling off the thermostat and screwed it in until it stopped and the test glasses of water I put in there would still freeze up.

I did however had a question, I found another screw that isn't covered by tape that's on the other side of the thermostat (faces upward). Not sure if this is also a temp control screw?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #466
rideincircles
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I ended up nailing it first try, but I still haven't gotten an accurate temperature reading yet. I know that its not freezing my water bottles, and the piece of ice I put in there is melting very slowly. I assume its right around 35 and already have my keg inside. I ordered 2 fridge thermometers and forgot to pick 2 day shipping so they haven't got here yet. Need to buy a thermometer that i can put in water, but as long as nothing is freezing, I am not worried.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #467
Rundorig76
Recipes 

I found the coarse adjustment screw for the small kenmoore freezer I just bought from a garage sale but the shelves seem to be part of the cooling system. There are small silver pipes comming in from the back and they form the inside of the three shelves with a wire rack over them. Can I redirect these or get rid of two of them since I wont be needing negative temperatures? Sorry for the doubles of the same pic.

forumrunner_20130614_123544.jpg   forumrunner_20130614_123614.jpg   forumrunner_20130614_123755.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #468
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundorig76 View Post
I found the coarse adjustment screw for the small kenmoore freezer I just bought from a garage sale but the shelves seem to be part of the cooling system. There are small silver pipes comming in from the back and they form the inside of the three shelves with a wire rack over them. Can I redirect these or get rid of two of them since I wont be needing negative temperatures? Sorry for the doubles of the same pic.
Your only hope is trying to bend them upright, but you may screw them up. I would sell it on cl and look for one that does not use the shelves to cool the unit.

My hop stopper

Old 06-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #469
Rundorig76
Recipes 

I was afraid of that thanks for the info before I started to thanks into it...

Old 07-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #470
bronzdragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Many thanks for this idea. I have a GE 8.8 cf chest freezer that I just bought, the dial down on the left side comes off, move the small piece of tape up in there and you'll see the screw. I am playing with the temperatures etc right now and will report back.

~rc~

Quick Reply