Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #151
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodweisen

I had the same problem.. never got it right just went ahead and left it at 32 and just warm the glass with my hands before i start drinking . i think this way beats spending seventybucks
You can get a temp controller off eBay shipped for about $20...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #152
Gustavo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

aswome thread, but can you actually keep a regulare tall refregerator with top freezer at 65-72 for fermentation?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #153
RevFry
Recipes 

I finally got the nice and easy Johnson digital control. Plugged it in and now the damn freezer won't cool. Just keeps running.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #154
mthompson
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did this adjustment on my chest freezer about two weeks ago. It worked fine, with temps holding around 39*F.

Problem I am having now is that the compressor protection (I assume) clicks about every 90 seconds. The compressor turns on at normal intervals as it always has with a temp controller. The clicks are drawing power because the lights in the garage flicker when it clicks.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #155
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson
I did this adjustment on my chest freezer about two weeks ago. It worked fine, with temps holding around 39*F.

Problem I am having now is that the compressor protection (I assume) clicks about every 90 seconds. The compressor turns on at normal intervals as it always has with a temp controller. The clicks are drawing power because the lights in the garage flicker when it clicks.

Any ideas what is causing this and how to stop it?
What is currently in the freezer, and where is the temperature probe located?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 AM   #156
mthompson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay

What is currently in the freezer, and where is the temperature probe located?
It sits steady at 39°F. I have three digital thermometers; one in water up high, one in water low and one in the air on the hump. I also have around 11 gallons in three kegs.

It clicks every minute and a half or few minutes (haven't time it). But, the compressor seems to come on when needed, like if I leave the lid open and whenever it needs to during daily operation.

I just don't want to be wearing it out with all the clicking, if it would be better to not click as it did with the rancor on it.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #157
Agentaaron
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompson

It sits steady at 39°F. I have three digital thermometers; one in water up high, one in water low and one in the air on the hump. I also have around 11 gallons in three kegs.

It clicks every minute and a half or few minutes (haven't time it). But, the compressor seems to come on when needed, like if I leave the lid open and whenever it needs to during daily operation.

I just don't want to be wearing it out with all the clicking, if it would be better to not click as it did with the rancor on it.
I have had this concern as well, mine is holding steady at 38* measured by two different thermometers. I have four 5 gallon cornys on the floor along with my co2 tank and several wine bottles on the hump. My compressor kick on about every 5 minutes and seems to only run for about 30-45 seconds...

...Mine is a 9cf Frigidaire purchased brand new about a month ago.

I'm thinking about backing out the adjustment screw and going with a temp controller if it means that this thing will not burn out after a year.

give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour...teach a man to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #158
mthompson
Recipes 

Anyone have any ideas about the clicking between cycles? Will this eventually wear out the relay?

Again, everything seems to work fine, with normal compressor cycles and cooling to 39*F...but the relay clicks rhythmically between actual compressor cycles. It did not do this when the thermostat was at the factory setting or when the Ranco was hooked up to it.

Thanks,

Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #159
Catt22
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevFry View Post
I finally got the nice and easy Johnson digital control. Plugged it in and now the damn freezer won't cool. Just keeps running.
Need more details to figure this out. First off, what do you have all of the parameters set at. Next, where do you have the controller probe mounted and what, if anything, do you have stored in the freezer.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the Johnson may be in the heating mode instead of cooling. There should be a snowflake symbol on the LCD readout if it's in the cooling mode. A flame symbol if heating. Normally, these units come set to the factory defaults, but someone may have altered the settings or the jumpers before it came into your hands. These units are very reliable and nearly foolproof, so I'm sure it's something easy to fix.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #160
strumke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Woohoo! Took 15 min to figure out where the screw was, turned about 6 times, backed off a few turns and now we're at 36! Saved me $75, thanks!!

Quick Reply