Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Guide to set internal chest freezer thermostat to >32F; Eliminate external control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #121
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just made the adjustment on my Frigidaire chest freezer, put in a plastic bottle of water and am waiting to see what the temp goes to! It was so fraking easy, I can't believe it. I didn't even have to open anything up. There's a temp adjustment dial on the side, I pulled it off and under a little piece of tape was the screw! Gave it about 10 turns and we'll see what it does. If it starts freezing, I'll turn it the other way.

Hats off to the OP again. This thread BEGS to be a sticky!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2011, 05:16 AM   #122
Gimlet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Just made the adjustment on my Frigidaire chest freezer, put in a plastic bottle of water and am waiting to see what the temp goes to! It was so fraking easy, I can't believe it. I didn't even have to open anything up. There's a temp adjustment dial on the side, I pulled it off and under a little piece of tape was the screw! Gave it about 10 turns and we'll see what it does. If it starts freezing, I'll turn it the other way.

Hats off to the OP again. This thread BEGS to be a sticky!
Keep me updated on your progress, ChshreCat. I'm well into my 3rd week of set screw adjustments on my Frigidaire...sounds like I have the same problem as a few above with the temp swinging wildly between ~32 and 50. Can't get it to settle anywhere between. Probably going to throw in the towel and get a temp controller if I can't get it nailed down in the next week or so.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #123
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

How are you measuring the temp? I was getting wild swings just measuring air temp inside. I went with a small bottle of water and it's more stable now. I think a larger mass will be even more stable.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #124
Gimlet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
How are you measuring the temp? I was getting wild swings just measuring air temp inside. I went with a small bottle of water and it's more stable now. I think a larger mass will be even more stable.
I have a dial thermometer in a bottle of water, and a glass lab thermometer measuring the air temp inside the freezer. They've been correlating pretty well, actually. I also have a 5 gallon bucket and three corney kegs full of water in it to provide some thermal mass and smooth out the temp swings. Still no such luck, though. Let me know if you hit your target! I'd be happy with anything between 38-42 at this point.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #125
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I ordered another stc 1000 and saw this thread about 2 days later. My 20+ year old montgomery ward freezer i bought off craigslist is keeping 5 kegs at 39f. 1 gallon of water is at about 36f or 37f. Took all of 2 mins to pop the dial off and adjust the screw. Guess i can sell the controller!

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #126
Gimlet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
Keep me updated on your progress, ChshreCat. I'm well into my 3rd week of set screw adjustments on my Frigidaire...sounds like I have the same problem as a few above with the temp swinging wildly between ~32 and 50. Can't get it to settle anywhere between. Probably going to throw in the towel and get a temp controller if I can't get it nailed down in the next week or so.
Good news - I think I'm finally getting my freezer dialed in. It's holding between 38-39*F right now. I did a couple of things the other night that I think helped out:

1) Wired up a computer fan that I plan to install during my Keezer build and set it on the compressor hump to help circulate air.
2) Did more miniscule set screw adjustments in a more intensive manner. Previously I had been adjusting the set screw with 1/8th-1/4 turns at a time, letting it sit for a day or so, then turning another 1/8th-1/4 turn clockwise or CCW depending on whether I had over- or undershot my temp. I spent a couple hours in the basement near the freezer cleaning some homebrewing equipment the other night. The freezer was holding around ~32 so every time I heard the compressor kick on I would unplug the freezer and turn the screw just enough to hear the compressor switch click off. This resulted in some very minute screw turns and eventually the correct set temp - I think I had just been way overshooting the temp range I wanted with my previous method.

Now to decide whether I want to get greedy and go for 40*F or just be happy with ~38.5... I sure would hate to screw it up and go through another 3 weeks of fine-tuning.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #127
Pieceman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet View Post
-snip-
Glad to hear you got it all worked out!

I had to do some serious turning on my set screw also. I think I cranked it 8 full turns the first time, then about 2 turns the opposite way to correct my overshot. Your circulation fan probably helped out a lot as well. That was the last thing I added to my keezer before I plugged her in.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #128
Gimlet
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieceman View Post
Glad to hear you got it all worked out!

I had to do some serious turning on my set screw also. I think I cranked it 8 full turns the first time, then about 2 turns the opposite way to correct my overshot. Your circulation fan probably helped out a lot as well. That was the last thing I added to my keezer before I plugged her in.
Gah, I think I spoke too soon. The temp started creeping up, was sitting at 44 this AM. Then I took the lid off my 5-gallon bucket and realized there was a large mass of ice in there that was likely keeping the freezer temp colder than what the thermostat was regulating. When I saw 38.5 degrees it had been a good 36 hours since I adjusted the set screw so I figured I was dialed in. I think I just caught it at the right point on the slow return to 50*F, though. So back to the drawing board....I'm so damn sick of futzing with this screw!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #129
SeanT
Recipes 

For those that have an old freezer with the 'cut in' and 'cut out' screws, I wanted to let you know that I have decided to make an ebay aquarium controller for mine, but the same process should work.

I have given up on mine because the max temperature seems to be about 34F, as soon as I turn the screws higher, it just goes off and does not come back on.

To adjust yours, you just need to follow the same procedure, but turn both the screws in the warmer direction. Once you get there, you can change each individually to dial in your hysteresis.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 AM   #130
lonepalm
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Trying to adjust freezer I have attached a pic of what I think is the screw

I have a Kenmore, no idea where i got the other name from...

image-2730878498.jpg   image-4036154204.jpg  

Reason: wrong information...

Quick Reply