Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Fridge Floor for Sanke Keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
juse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fridge Floor for Sanke Keg

Has anyone here made a wooden floor for a sanke keg in a regular fridge, one with the freezer on top? My new free CL fridge has a nice hump in the back & needs a floor added for my sanke to fit. I'm curious about drilling & screwing/bolting into the plastic and the stability factor. I'm assuming I can make a 2-legged table and just screw it into the plastic shroud, but I'd hate for that thing to break loose on me. I guess I should screw through the metal sides of the fridge to anchor everything, but don't know what would be the best way to go about all of it. I'd hate to ruin this fridge.

I looked through stickies and did a search, but found nothing, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed ad nauseum.

TIA - Any advice is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
popeiam
USBDT
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

dude I just made a half shelf out of ply wood back edge sits on the hump and the frount I used 2x4 attached by screwing from top of ply wood into 2x4 the weight of the kegs keep it from moving. reason for the half shelf is im able to put 4 kegs it the fridge but you could do a full shelf i supose. If I make no scence I'll try and post pics.

????

Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My refrigerator has the hump, and has rails for a shelf just above it. I just used a piece of 3/4" MDF as a shelf and it holds 2 cornies and a CO2 bottle with no issues. For the sanke, you might add some legs in the front to reach the bottom and some sort of support in the rear, but I'd definately not recommend drilling in the refrigerator or screwing to anything.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
juse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
...I'd definately not recommend drilling in the refrigerator or screwing to anything.
Is that because of the possibility of cracking the plastic? I'm probably going to drill holes for the faucet(s) anyway.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No, the main reason for not drilling into the fridge is you could cut into a coolant line. That would be A Bad Thing. Most modern fridges have all the coolant lines in the back, but some have some imbedded in the sides as well. Also, if you're drilling into that hump, guarantee you'll hit some kind of mechanism just under the plastic hump.

Drilling through the door is always fine. It's just a door.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 08-13-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Brewer#19
Recipes 

i'm in the process of doing the same thing, though for a 3 tap corny keg set up, not sanke. i'm not sure exactly how i'm going to execute the creation of the shelf, but screwing into the fridge interior is not recommended. the reason for the hump in the bottom is that is the location of the compressor, an area you don't really want to mess with.

since mine is a dedicated keg fridge, i'm leaning towards a durable, permanent set up. i'm thinking i wont use a wood shelf and will be anchoring my shelf support (shelf will be removable) and for that i'll likely use an epoxy. i need to take a trip to hd or lowes and "wander" and let the ideas come to me on exactly how i execute all of this.

Homebrewing cures working or at least washes it away.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Brewer#19
Recipes 

in response to my post above, i was apparently out of my mind in thinking of doing a nice floor, the materials i was thinking of using would cost be in excess of $60, if i make it out of wood aka 2x4's, less than $10.

frugal FTW!

Homebrewing cures working or at least washes it away.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
JohnnyBe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just made a simple two legged shelf as stated above and rest the back on the hump. This has then allowed for room under the shelf to keep bootled beer below. I have room then for four corney kegs and a 10 pound CO2 tank on the shelf. I would think that if it holds my 20 gallons and 10 pound tank yours would hold your 15.5 gallons.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
juse
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBe View Post
I just made a simple two legged shelf as stated above and rest the back on the hump. This has then allowed for room under the shelf to keep bootled beer below. I have room then for four corney kegs and a 10 pound CO2 tank on the shelf. I would think that if it holds my 20 gallons and 10 pound tank yours would hold your 15.5 gallons.
Cool. So you didn't anchor it in any way? I suppose the weight keeps it in place. Thanks.

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these, and Woo woo woo woo!"
~Curly

Old 08-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My buddy just made a small shelf out of scrap wood.

He would have drilled a hole and mounted the faucet through the door but he is selling the home and the fridge is staying with. He will be buying a bigger one after the move.

Quick Reply