Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Flomaster's Magic Chef 7.2 cuft Keezer Build

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
Flomaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Flomaster's Magic Chef 7.2 cuft Keezer Build

so I'll use this thread to document my keezer build process, but before begin I have a few questions.

I have this Magic Chef Keezer I scored at a garage sale for $50 I had not purchased it for a keezer build, but I have and its going to turn into one.

I plan on painting it black, and using granite tiles on the top and sides, it will have two 3" Perlick towers with dual faucets.

here is where I need some help or opinions

Collar: 1x8 so I can have 2 cornys on the hump even though I'll only have 4 taps or go with a smaller say 2" or 4" collar to attach my granite tile to.

I will not be using the stock lid as I do not want to cut into it so I planned on using 3/4" plywood, with cement board on top to attach tiles to unless I don't need the cement board.

or no collar just layer 3/4" plywood and 3/4" cement board use a 1x1 along the lower outter edge to attach my granite tiles to. I think the tiles are large enough to overhang around all 4 sides or at least the front 3 sides.

here is kind of a rough vision of how its going to look.

my ghetto MsPaint version of the finished product.
sorry I'm at work and don't have Photoshop like at home.

opinions and criticism welcome

-=Jason=-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
phidelt1499
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'm pretty sure I have those same tiles on my kitchen counters, lol

But I'd say that if having the 2 extra cornies on the hump is a dealbreaker, then obviously go with the taller collar.

Also, since you're not using the stock lid, have you thought about the insulation that plywood and/or cement board will give you? That'd be an easy place to lose a bunch of cold (or gain heat if you want to be specific about the thermodynamics...). I'm not familiar with cement board, is it a good insulator?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
Flomaster
Recipes 

oh I'd insulate the lid for sure maybe I'll just got with a 4" collar to get the lid higher for insulation. I can do a couple inches of insulation on the lid to keep heat out.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
ebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That Magic Chef freezer works great for 6 (including 2 on the hump). Here's mine:

Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
FoundersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ebeer, what did you use to adhere the wood for the drip pan?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Flomaster
Recipes 

I know I can fit 6 cornys plus co2 in the keezer, but at the moment I only have two dual faucet towers, I guess I could space them far enough apart to fit a 3rd in the middle, is 4 beers on tap not enough? 20 gallons of sweet nectar of the gods seems pretty good to me.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-09-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
ebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundersBrew View Post
ebeer, what did you use to adhere the wood for the drip pan?
Sort hard to describe, but I needed something to hang the drip tray on without drilling into the fridge. I also needed the drip tray spaced out a bit from the fridge wall so I could catch both the drips and the flow when someone accidentally knocks the tap handle wide open. I know, this should never happen but the fact of the matter is it does - especially when you're in a hurry to lift a keg over the collar, not that it's ever happened to me

Anyway, for the wood I used light trim pieces from Home Depot and built a sort of makeshift box. I attached a flat metal joiner on the back, then put 3 hard drive magnets on each side. Magnets stick to the fridge and to the metal, and OBTW they are strong. By strong I mean I had to use a screwdriver to pry it off the fridge to take these photos.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
ebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flomaster View Post
I know I can fit 6 cornys plus co2 in the keezer, but at the moment I only have two dual faucet towers, I guess I could space them far enough apart to fit a 3rd in the middle, is 4 beers on tap not enough? 20 gallons of sweet nectar of the gods seems pretty good to me.

-=Jason=-
Jason - good luck with your build, looks like a solid plan. One comment on the towers, they're a great way to go and means there are no excessive height demands for your collar. It does mean you'll either have to store the keezer away from a wall or put it on casters so you can roll it out to put kegs in (the towers get in the way and require a few feet to open).

And of course, when you have 2 taps you want 4. When you have 4 you want 6, etc...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
Flomaster
Recipes 

yeah I was planning on building a frame for it to sit on and having casters to roll around on. I'll have 4 taps to start out, I guess I could just cut the granite for a 3rd dual faucet tower and use a stainless plug or cap or some thing to cover the hole.

-=Jason=-

Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
FoundersBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ebeer, nice job where did you get the magnets?

Quick Reply