Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Emerson 4.6 to Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #21
stryz33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am looking at buying the Emerson 4.6 fridge. I am concerned at the inside bottom shelf. will a full barrel fit inside the fridge or will the door ad extra space once closed? I am using this for my barrel and my tapper will go on my bar. Any suggestions on how this can be done will be very helpful. The tapper is in place, I have all my conversion kit peices, just need the fridge but want to make sure this fridge will work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #22
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

without actually looking at the fridge i will say with 99.9% certainty no. I have a 4.9 cu sanyo and it wont fit a full barrel (really a half barrel). I spent alot of time looking at mini fridges and to my knowledge there is NO mini fridge that will fit a half barrel. Keep in mind most kegerators are well over 5.0 cu ft and the few that are only 5.0 have curved out doors and the fit in those have zero extra space.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #23
stryz33
Recipes 

So I should be safe in buying a corney keg? Also, what is easier to do, buy the corney kegs from a local store that sells kegs or buying the container and having it filled when needed? Are they easy to get filled? Or is it easier just to buy it from a store already filled. Are the corney kegs easy to find in local beer stores where they sell kegs or are they hard to find? I am new to this so I am asking a lot of questions. Also, Once i get it all hooked up, is it fairly easy to get it working properly? any special tricks to do that make it easier to set up?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #24
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

cornys are very hard to find locally. Start hitting up craigslist or ebay for them. Keep in mind corny kegs are really only for home brew and if you have a small brewery by you they may specialty fill them for you. However, if your wanting comercial beer then just buy sixlets (1/6th barrels). They have the same general shape as a corny but you buy them already filled with beer, drink, then bring back to get your depost back. Try googling keg sizes. I dont know if sixlets will work in the emerison (1 probably should, 2 may or may not). If you have more questions try searching the forums for how to's with kegging

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #25
stryz33
Recipes 

Ok, thanks. I did look into it and most places do carry 1/6 kegs but some need to be specially ordered. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #26
douglasbarbin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thinking about buying this mini fridge. Has anyone else had any luck making this into a kegerator?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #27
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a two tap kegerator I am pretty proud of on the cheap!

2 ball locks fit in perfectly once the shelf ledges were removed (did that with a kitchen knife and taped over the rough edges with white duct tape, looks pretty decent)

A few pics:

Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #28
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Feel free to ask any other questions, but I'll add that the major other parts of the "build" were just taking off the door shelving (it easily unscrewed around the rubber gasket) and replacing it with white posterboard/foam board, and then drilling the hole through the top! kept it small as I was afraid of any kind of lines but it was about dead center and worked without a hitch!

Only lines of any kind I came across were those running to/from the thermostat and light, so be careful when cutting off the shelf ledges on that side. (Also, I removed this thermostat part and used whit duct tape to put just the knob (minus the plastic shell) further back/up so that it wasnt in the kegs way.)

Old 05-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #29
douglasbarbin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the speedy reply MRT888!

I'm thinking about doing a single tower system with a 5 lb. CO2 tank and 1 pin lock keg. Do you think I will be able to fit this without cutting the shelf ledges, or no? I'd like this to be as easy as possible, since it will be my first kegerator.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #30
MRT888
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my 5 lb CO2 tank fits on the ledge behind the 2 kegs and it's a clunker as far as 5 lb tanks go so I think you'd have plenty of room there or beside the keg- the only issue I'd be worried about is the pin lock keg will be a tighter fit, as they are a bit (1 inch?) bigger in diameter than ball locks I believe. Because you'll have plenty of side to side space, you wont need to cut the shelf ledges, but i'd think you'd still definitely need to remove the plastic shelving on the door. Like I said, this comes off easily from screws around the perimeter of the rubber gasket, but it might leave too much wiggle room between the gasket so I actually cut around the perimeter of that plastic shelving (leaving it screwing in)... let me know if that doesnt make sense, but you can experiment with the door on your own.
I'd measure/look up the dimensions of your pin lock and see if it will fit front to back- might need to cut out a cardboard circle and see...

Quick Reply