Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > EdgeStar quandary...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
cthabeerman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default EdgeStar quandary...

Hi folks,

So my employer was gracious enough to gift an EdgeStar BR2000 dual-tap kegerator to me for Christmas. Hey, I can't complain!! It was the perfect sort of gift.

The thing is, I don't have a kegging setup yet, and so I decided to fill it with a couple craft beers until I can get all the extra homebrew pieces in place to start kegging myself.

My problem is pretty simple - MicroStar kegs seem to be a little more rotund than homebrew kegs, so despite having dual taps, the refrigerated cabinet won't hold two MicroStar kegs and still close. Obviously, this is a bit of an issue.

The main culprit is a shelf in the rear of the cabinet...it appears as if they moved a lot of the refrigeration components into/beneath that shelf space to make the unit's exterior dimensions more compact, but it's come at the expense of the interior cabinet footprint.

Has anyone encountered this issue and come up with a suitable solution? I tried to search for answers on the forum, but couldn't come up with anything.

I can't come up with a good solution. The door can't be altered to allow more space at the front, and I can't imagine that compromising the insulation between the interior cabinet and the exterior components would be helpful, as you'd break the temperature barrier between the two. With the waste heat that the components throw off, you'd probably be better off not refrigerating at all.

Ideas? I'm at a loss, short of finding some insulation to toss in the gap between the cabinet and the door and calling it good...at least until I can procure myself a couple skinnier homebrew kegs and brew up a couple batches.

-C

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
MrFoodScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How big of gap are you looking at?

Find Recipes on my blog: The Homemade Soda Expert I'd love some feedback!
Now Available from Quarry Books -- Making Soda at Home: Mastering the Craft of Carbonation
Like on Facebook!, Follow on Twitter, Add to Goodreads

Old 12-28-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
bpointer01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Possible Solution

I was able to overcome this problem with the same Edgestar unit by putting a short piece of 1x6 lumber I had left over from my bar build underneath the keg nearest the door. This allows the bottom of the keg to clear the small lip on the bottom of the fridge door and allows it to close. It is still a tight fit, but it worked. Now that I have switched to corny kegs, it is no longer an issue at all. They fit with room to spare.

Quick Reply